Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re-buys and add-ons

As a newbie, I haven't seen any discussion of these, but it seems to me that a rebuy would be -EV. Assuming I went bust early, why would I want to pay a full buyin in order to get less than a proportional share of chips? Wouldn't I be better off to go look for another tourney?

Add-ons also suffer from a theoretical disadvantage. If each chip in a big stack is worth less than a chip in a small stack, then an add-on is also -EV.

OTOH, choosing a tournament that allows rebuys and add-ons (and then not using them) looks like +EV to me.

Am I missing something? What do you guys do?

GG
Old 03-17-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Re-buys and add-ons

[ QUOTE ]
As a newbie, I haven't seen any discussion of these, but it seems to me that a rebuy would be -EV. Assuming I went bust early, why would I want to pay a full buyin in order to get less than a proportional share of chips? Wouldn't I be better off to go look for another tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

hi GG,

Not necessarily. If you're more skilled than your opposition and get knocked out by a bad beat, you can get back in and still do well. If you are bad and keep rebuying, then yes, its a bad idea to just throw your money away.

[ QUOTE ]

Add-ons also suffer from a theoretical disadvantage. If each chip in a big stack is worth less than a chip in a small stack, then an add-on is also -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll take the add-on because of a couple reasons:
A) Most everyone else will and I don't want to give them a chip advantage over me.
B) More chips = g00t. If you can play well with a bigger stack, then it'll help.

Sometimes you might have so many chips that an add-on won't do much...I'd still go for it unless the add-on was really expensive. And if that's the case I'm probably playing beyond my bankroll anyway.

[ QUOTE ]

OTOH, choosing a tournament that allows rebuys and add-ons (and then not using them) looks like +EV to me.

Am I missing something? What do you guys do?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree here. If you don't take advantage of the rebuys and add-ons you're going to be at a big chip disadvantage. People will be playing aggressively because of the rebuys so stacks will double and quadruple quickly. Then they'll add on and most likely leave you at the far end of the pack. However, if you are skilled and can play a shorter stack well then perhaps this would work for you.