Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Just tried out 6-max.

Just tried out the 6-max game, only played about 50 hands, made a little money.

I read everything I could in HEPFAP and SSHE about shorthanded play. SSHE didn't have much, and the short handed chapter was a bit confusing to me. I definately need to master the concepts in that chapter, since it seems mostly math. TOP doesn't even have short-handed in its index, so I didn't look through that for any info. I also read a few threads posted in the link: The most informational 6-max posts for newbies., and frankly, I didn't get much out of them.

What the gist of it seems is that you have to lower your starting hand requirements a small bit, and loosen up a bit post-flop. Don't play hands that require high implied odds. Play very loosely (mabye 40%) from the big blind, and tend to 3-bet good hands from the small blind.

Offsuit broadways seem to be very well suited to 6-max, where they aren't so good in a ring game. Drawing hands also seem to lose some value, along with small pairs in early position.

Also, it would seem that the mistakes that bad players continually make are somewhat magnified in shorthanded games.

Am I way off-base? Anything I absolutely need to know to succeed here. I'm a winning player at the .5/1 games, but am not comfortable at 2/4 yet. I've got the bankroll (600BB) for 1/2, and I really think I need to move up. The 1/2 ring games are painful for me to play during the daytime, when I play most of my poker. The 1/2 6-max seems like a good choice to move up.

Any suggestions for reading material, other links, and general observations about my observations are welcome.