Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 12:48 AM

Default flopped set -- overcalls vs aggression

When I saw the flop, my thought was "awesome! I'll check-raise MP3!" Sadly, MP1 ruined that... On the flop I was thinking I would call-3bet if MP2 raised, but I didn't want 5 people facing 2 cold so I didn't raise.

With just 2 people dropping on the flop, it seemed like overcalls on the turn were in order... sadly 2 more people dropped.

I didn't raise the river because it seemed that MP2 wasn't showing any aggression and would probably fold... so if I went for the overcall I get the same money in the pot while risking 1 BB rather than 2. In hindsight, though, it seems a little weak. Should I have raised here? Cap or call if 3-bet?

Nothing useful in the way of reads -- MP1 was 54/11/1.38 and MP3 was 81/15/0.86, but I was distracted by IM my first couple orbits at the table.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (14.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

River: (12.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 15.75 BB
Old 03-17-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Re: flopped set -- overcalls vs aggression

I would raise the flop.

Barring that, I would raise the turn.

Seriously, you need to get more bets in the pot when you flop a set. This isn't a situation where you want overcalls; you want over-coldcalls.

Rob
Old 03-17-2005, 12:52 AM

The flop call is understandable I guess. Given that you were going to go for a call-reraise I can't really fault you. While I don't really like the call-reraise line in big pots (this is a big pot) it's not like it is the end of the world. The turn call is just pathetic though. You have to at least try to get some money in the middle.

Actually I just changed my mind. The call-reraise line blows ass in big pots. People are willing to put money in on the flop, but you have to give them the opportunity. So my line in this hand would be: Raise the flop. Raise the turn. Raise the river. I think you can find a raise in here somewhere.

Brad
Old 03-17-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I just changed my mind. The call-reraise line blows ass in big pots. People are willing to put money in on the flop, but you have to give them the opportunity.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't an intentional call-reraise... it was an "oh crap, if I raise I'm facing the entire field with 2 SB in a 15 SB pot." And, in all honesty, I didn't realize the pot was _that_ big... if I had actually looked and seen people getting 8:1 on my raise, it would've been automatic (well, should've been at least).

Thanks for the advice! (Thanks also to Entity, but I'm only gonna respond to one post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 03-17-2005, 01:20 AM

Although the flop call is debatable (I don't like it) you really have to raise the turn here. MP1 probably has an A and will give you some action--- and the second A is a great big scare card so you are likely to lose overcallers anyway.

Of course, now that MP1 has at least trips you might be beat or he has a 6-out draw; if the latter (which is more likely) you want to make him pay for it.