Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Simple stack size question?

$5/10 no limit on Prima. Hero($1700) dealt 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button. The pot is min raised in early position and two players before call as do I. The small blind($1000) who is excellent player makes it $150 straight. I'm pretty sure he has AA or KK. One player with about $500 calls but I decide to fold. My question is what sort of stack sizes do the players need for me to call. I've heard the rule of the thumb is that they need about 20 times times the size of the raise behind them in chips.(How many BB)? What if I have a hand like QQ or AK suited? Any comments are welcome.

Thanx
ObnxNole [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Simple stack size question?

Ideally I'd like to have at least 2500 in front to call this raise...less the higher the pocket pair gets and your ability to outplay him postflop, if you can get him to laydown overpairs on scary flops, by all means call. This is much easier to do live though than online and you really have to know the player...

Also as a side note, unless it's going to be a family pot, it doesn't really matter how much money the other guy has, you are going to each have to hit a miracle flop to go against each other, not so with the preflop raiser...make any sense?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:58 PM

more than twenty?
oh yes, that's plenty
less than ten?
not enough, my friend
between the two?
well, that's up to you
Old 03-16-2005, 11:02 PM

SB only has 1000...
Old 03-16-2005, 11:25 PM

pretty sure el d. saw that, but is giving us a general guideline.

id want him to have at least 1400ish to call this. with position and knowing his exact hand, i think that is plenty.

that ciaffone rule of 20 refers more to suited connectors, since you rarely flop a sure win with them.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:29 PM

I like using the 5-10 rule. Somwhere between 5 to 10 percent of your stack size and the raiser's stack size.

Lawrence
Old 03-16-2005, 11:53 PM

A wise man once told me (cough Flynn cough) to change the 5/10 rule to the 2/8 rule and life will be a lot better...so far so good.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A wise man once told me (cough Flynn cough) to change the 5/10 rule to the 2/8 rule and life will be a lot better...so far so good.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, the 10 percent is way way too high for suited connectors. its very very borderline for a PP, but in this case, we know the guys hand, have position, and a little extra dead money in the center. not saying its a call, but that the 10 rule is playable here.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:12 AM

also since no one has said this i will just state the obvious: if you're sure he has AA or KK then QQ is (almost, ok less straight outs) exactly the same as 33. more dangerous if you can't get away on rags.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:11 AM

Thanx for all the responses guys. The small did indeed have KK and he and the other player with 10 10 were all in on the flop. Unfortunately for me the flop came 7 3 3. Oh well. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]