Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Ed Miller on playing flush draws aggressive. I don\'t understand.

I found this in the archives.
This means that flush draws are very easy to play... and play against. If you are playing a flush draw, you usually should play aggressively for the first bet or two on the flop, for various reasons. Otherwise, you are calling all bets until the river.
What does he mean by "for the 1st bet or 2"? And whi is it bad to call all bets until the river with a draw?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Ed Miller on playing flush draws aggressive. I don\'t understand.

Because you can win two ways 1) you hit your flush or 2) your opponent folds and you win the pot. Your opponent can't fold if you don't bet.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:09 AM

your aggressive play on the flop may buy you a free card on the turn as well. although this should be tempered by the size of the pot and the strength of your draw (e.g., large pot bet out, 14+ outs bet out).

cheers,
the real macoy
Old 03-16-2005, 10:37 AM

Maybe I'm missing something, but how will you have 14+ outs with a flush draw? Only 13 of each suit?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:44 AM

Because you have an equity edge. You will make your flush by the river about 35% of the time, and usually you will win when it hits, as well as sometimes when it doesn't. Therefore, if there are several other callers in a hand, you should be willing to raise and reraise for value. In the long run, you make more money if 5 players put 4 bets in on the flop when you have a nut flush draw than if you all put in one, even though you don't have a "made" hand. Obviously, you have to be aware of better flush draws and sets, which will sometimes fill up and hurts your equity somewhat. In most low limit games, I don't think you have much fold equity, especially multiway, so I don't know that that really factors in. Plus all the stuff about the free card.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:02 AM

flush draw + overcards or flush draw + straight possibility or flush draw + bottom or middle pair = 14 or more outs
Old 03-16-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because you have an equity edge. You will make your flush by the river about 35% of the time, and usually you will win when it hits, as well as sometimes when it doesn't. Therefore, if there are several other callers in a hand, you should be willing to raise and reraise for value. In the long run, you make more money if 5 players put 4 bets in on the flop when you have a nut flush draw than if you all put in one, even though you don't have a "made" hand. Obviously, you have to be aware of better flush draws and sets, which will sometimes fill up and hurts your equity somewhat. In most low limit games, I don't think you have much fold equity, especially multiway, so I don't know that that really factors in. Plus all the stuff about the free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus there are often hidden outs where you can win without hitting your flush. Heads up against someone with just overcards you might be ahead on the flop. Also your overcard might become good if you can knock out a hand dominating it. Maybe you can knock someone with a runner runner flush draw that would beat you if four flush cards hit. For these reasons its much more important in big pots.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:41 PM

oh ok, gotcha, I'm pretty sloooow today. =)
Old 03-16-2005, 01:36 PM

It is not bad to call all bets to the river with a good draw and correct odds, it is just better in some case to raise on the flop if it can get you a free card on the turn.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:55 PM

You also lose bets on the river when your opponent makes a good hand because check-calling makes them fear the flush when the third of a suit arrives.

On the other hand, if you bet out as if you have top pair, your opponent may raise you on the river if he makes two pair, trips, or a straight. You might get raised and even capped on the river by these players.