Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 03:28 AM

Default How many sharks are too many????

We've all heard the saying "You can be the 10th best poker player in the world, but if you're at a table against the top 9, you'll lose".

How many sharks sitting at a table would be too many to the point you would leave the game? (and we're considering you're playing for profit only, not the challenge)
Old 03-16-2005, 05:07 AM

Default Re: How many sharks are too many????

Depends how bad the donators play.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:43 AM

im going to post this, because the tone of your post makes it seem like you dont know where to begin to solve this problem.

you need to calculate how many BB/100 you lose to each of the pros at the table, and how many BB/100 you earn from the fish at the table. granted, its nearly impossible to come close to accurately guessing this figure, but it needs to be done intuitively every time you sit at a poker table.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:39 PM

well, so far i only play 3-6 or 4-8 and there's one, maybe two other good players at the table. Heck sometimes on a good night, they're all fish. I just wanted to hear opinions by some of the wise men here, when to avoid a game when there are too many TAGs.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:55 PM

When I play no-limit, I generally won't play unless I feel that I'm atleast the 3rd best player at the table. Then I just avoid the other two and its groovy.

In a limit game, if there are 2 fish that are bad enough, I would play with those two fish if everyone else at the table was TAG.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:09 AM

Old 03-17-2005, 12:09 AM

I left that out [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We've all heard the saying "You can be the 10th best poker player in the world, but if you're at a table against the top 9, you'll lose".

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure that's an actual saying?

--Zetack
Old 03-17-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I play no-limit, I generally won't play unless I feel that I'm atleast the 3rd best player at the table. Then I just avoid the other two and its groovy.

In a limit game, if there are 2 fish that are bad enough, I would play with those two fish if everyone else at the table was TAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

When there are other good players at the table you shouldn't simply STOP playing against them. In that case you are giving up way too much value. You should be very attentive to their style of play and try to take advantage of it. The real goal is to simply play your best against them which would minimize the amount you lose when they are involved in the hand. If that means treading carefully, then so be it. It is one thing to be unwilling to aggressively attack pots these players are in on semi-bluffs/bluffs (which would probably be a mistake anyway) and another to simply 'avoid' them. The adjustment we all have to make in these situations is to play with hands and in situations that give us enough of an advantage over our opponent that it levels the playing field some. If anything, against most good players the bluff becomes a tool that is amazingly powerful... because they will actually put you on hands, and be able to fold.

-k_squared
Old 03-17-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure that's an actual saying?

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you doubt me?