Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 05:56 PM

Default How to track your progress

I started playing 2/4 tables about 3 months ago and in about my last 3k hands ago and am down about 11.5 small bets per 100 hands. I am looking for a good way to track my progress and find my holes. I have read SSH over and over again and can't find anything to account for my significant loss.

I also need to develop a strategy for the future. My bankroll is about $70. What whould be appropriate stakes for that amount?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:13 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)
Default Re: How to track your progress

drop back to .5/1 and multitable if the roll cannot be replinished to any degree(or any smaller limit until the b/r is built back up) Swings come and go but you have to have the bankroll to absorb it.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:15 PM

Woah. -11.5BB/100 over 3k hands is really, really rough.

I'd say .10/.20 is good for your BR right now as you work things out.

-d
Old 03-15-2005, 06:27 PM

You should consider getting PokerTracker if you don't have it already. It's an excellent all-around analysis tool and worth the $55 or whatever it is now-a-days.

That and keep reading and post some hands. Also be sure to work with at least 300BB at the limit you are at.

- Jim
Old 03-15-2005, 06:32 PM

When you started at 2/4, was that your first foray in to poker? Have you read anything other that SSH?

If you are brand-new to poker, SSH isn't the right place to start. If you don't have the fundamentals of tight play down, trying to play the SSH way is playing with a fire that - as you have found out - can burn right through your bankroll.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:55 PM

Get PokerTracker. I don't believe there is any better tool for identifying leaks in your game.

I have to think $70 is a typo. If my math is correct you've lost over $600 in your last 3K hands, so you must know $70 is a tad underfunded.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:56 PM

Assuming you are capable of beating low limit SNGs, with $70 the fastest way to rebuild would be to play $2.20 SNGs on Ultimate Bet or Pacific until you get to $110, then play $5.50 SNGs whereever, and then move up to $11 SNGs at $220 and then make a return to .5/1.

In your case, as you might want to stick to full ring limit, I would suggest the .1/.2 tables on Paradise (I think Prima also spreads .1/.2). If you wanted to be especially safe about it, play .05/.1 (most places with microlimit spread this, Pokerstars definately does) for 10k hands and re-assess your play after that. If you lose more than half your roll at .05/.1 you definately have some fundamentals you need to brush up on.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:50 PM

I have read TOP and also played NL tournaments for the past 6 months. I have the basics down.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:51 PM

My original BR was $700 and now I only have $70 of that left and can't replenish it, which is why I am re-evaluating now.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:56 PM

<quote>Assuming you are capable of beating low limit SNGs, with $70 the fastest way to rebuild would be...</quote>

I am assuming that SNGs are sit-n-go tournaments. Are you talking about fixed or NL games?

<quote>In your case, as you might want to stick to full ring limit, I would suggest the .1/.2 tables...</quote>

You mean instead of the SNGs? What is special about my case that you would first recommend SNGs and then full ring limit games?