Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Question for Atheists and maybe those who believe in God.

If you do not believe in God, what factors influence you to not do things that are deemed evil, or wrong by people that believe in God? There has to be more reasons then "it is against the law that man made". Evil things can range from simple crimes of stealing from people, to murder. If you are smart enough to not get caught committing the crime, why not do it? You will not be punished in the end.

I do not know if anyone has predictions or more important statistics on this, but, has there been any studies that have tried to determine what percentage of people who commit crimes believe in a God. I guess a lot depends on economic situations for most people, but if you really believed you would be sent to Hell for commiting certain crimes would you be less likely to commit the crime then if you did not believe in Hell, or God.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Question for Atheists and maybe those who believe in God.

Are you saying the only thing that keeps you from killing people is fear of going to hell? It's not good to go around killing people for the same reason it's not a good idea for chimpanzees or other primates to kill each other at random.

The others don't like being killed at random and for seemingly no reason and they will put an end to you before you can perform another one of your unpredicatble actions.

It's just common sense. Even monkies know this, are you smarter than a monkey?
Old 03-15-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not know if anyone has predictions or more important statistics on this, but, has there been any studies that have tried to determine what percentage of people who commit crimes believe in a God. I guess a lot depends on economic situations for most people, but if you really believed you would be sent to Hell for commiting certain crimes would you be less likely to commit the crime then if you did not believe in Hell, or God.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also have to remember that morality and religion are mutually exclusive for a lot of people, including myself. For instance, I treat people how I like to be treated--with respect. People don't deserved to be treated like crap unless proven otherwise. I also don't go around murdering people or stealing things. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2005, 05:33 PM

What stops me from killing for my own profit? The risk/reward ratio is too great, not to mention the work effort required to remain free. It's very difficult to pull off murders for money, but is there anything "wrong" with it in a metaphsical cosmic sense? No, it's no more wrong than a Lion killing the cubs of another Lion's because it wants the female to have it's cubs instead. We are no more quilty than the animals. Once we invented the concept of good/evil we accepted the idea of sin and ever since then we have been punishing ourselves. Now our only real choices are between sadism or masochism.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:37 PM

I don't do (many) things which Christians or other theists consider wrong for the same reason they don't--because I consider them wrong. I just don't believe that there is some all-knowing being watching over me and taking notes, to exact vengeance whenever I step across the lines that he has set out.

I also have the wonderful freedom that comes from being able to decide for myself what is and is not wrong (and yes, secular laws influence those decisions somewhat). I had a delicious bacon cheeseburger for lunch yesterday--were I Jewish, Muslim, or Hindu, I could not have done that without sinning. I spend my Sundays sleeping in, lying around the house, maybe doing some chores, and watching football during the season--where I a Christian, such behavior would condemn me to an eternity in hell (depending on which sect of Christianity, admittedly).

I think that if you look at the Ten Commandments from a secular standpoint you will see that, other than the first, they are simply common sense laws which were needed in order for the first forms of civilized humanity to survive. Remember that humans of the day were just starting to settle down and give up the hunter/gatherer ways, and such things as blood feuds and theivery could have undone the early cities. Putting the first commandment at the top of the list just gave the people a reason to listen to the other nine, because hey--you can't hide from an all-knowing, all-seeing punisher.

If I could kill someone and knew that I would never be convicted of the crime, I would not. Why? Because I don't think it's up to me to decide whether someone else lives or dies. If I did think that, and many others also thought that, society as a whole would crumble.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:45 PM

I am pretty sure I said crimes that could include but are not limited to murder. Also, I said if you will not be caught for the crime. Say for example you figure out a way to steal $25,000 from your company, and there is a 100% chance no one will ever find out, you will never be caught, never go to jail. If you do not believe in God, why not?
Old 03-15-2005, 05:45 PM

I'm a Christian, but I don't think you have to believe in God to understand the difference between right and wrong, and to want to do what is right.

I also believe that we are bound to do things that are wrong, that we can't help ourselves, and that we need God's help in order to be changed and have a relationship with Him.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure I said crimes that could include but are not limited to murder. Also, I said if you will not be caught for the crime. Say for example you figure out a way to steal $25,000 from your company, and there is a 100% chance no one will ever find out, you will never be caught, never go to jail. If you do not believe in God, why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would take it in a second. What's your point? Are you saying I should be punished? That it's not fair that I would get no comeuptence? You certainly are a violent fellow.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:58 PM

I'd say it's a complex admixture of fear, ego, empathy, love, and probably a few other ingredients I've forgotten.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say it's a complex admixture of fear, ego, empathy, love, and probably a few other ingredients I've forgotten.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the obvious answer.