Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Interesting $1/2 hand

This table is somewhat tight, and pretty passive. Villain to my right is tight aggressive but capable of making some tricky moves. Hero has ~$350, Villain ~$200, MP3 ~$50

MP1 raises to $4, MP3 calls, CO calls, Villain in SB calls, Hero calls in BB with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

FLOP ($18): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain checks, Hero bets $12, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Villain calls

TURN ($54): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Villain checks, Hero bets $32, MP3 folds, Villain calls

RIVER ($108): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Villain bets $50 and has about $100 left behind...Hero does what?

I honestly don't think Villain was bluffing at a missed draw, but I did think he might have a higher boat than me. There's probably no way I'm folding this, so do I just call, minraise, or push? Also, is there anything you'd recommend that I do differently on any other streets? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

-Nino
Old 03-14-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Interesting $1/2 hand

He is in the SB, ATC are possible. How would he act with 45 on the flop?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:37 PM

I'm not sure, but I say an underboat is too weak to push. I wouldn't expect a call on a paired board from a hand weaker than an underboat given the strength you have shown throughout the hand (although those bets were a bit weak IMHO for such a draw-heavy board.) Of course you are not folding. So I call.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:53 PM

I would bet more on the flop. You hit a set on a board that is very dangerous when played multiway and need to bet big on the flop to a) narrow the field and b) consider folding if getting played back at hard by more than 1 player (due to the possibility 44, 66, 57, 25 being out there). I probably would have bet the pot (~$20 on the flop).

I'd bet more on the Turn also. Charge the draws more. I would bet the pot on the turn.

Villain's river bet could very well be a value bet with 46, 34, or 99. The river bet could also be a blocker with A6, 77, 88, TT, JJ, 56 (unlikely). Barring a read of villain being weak, I would probably just call at this point.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:08 PM

I hope by 'weak' you mean 'bad' and not 'folds too much' because a classically 'weak' opponent would certainly not call a raise on this board with a hand worse than Hero's. If he were bad, however, I would consider raising as he may overvalue (and have failed to protect) a worse made hand.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:15 PM

Maybe I should've said ... even including a read of villain being weak (i.e. holding something weak as in an overpair) I would still call in this spot, as villain is a TAG, and table play has been passive up to this point. If he actually is weak in this spot, he will simply fold to Hero's river raise.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Thoughts/RESULTS

I agree with needing to bet more on the flop, but I think the turn bet was OK because I was doing it to put MP3 all-in, as well as charge villain to hit his draw (maybe 40 or so would've been a little better). I should've mentioned that villain KNOWS for a fact that I am usually tight aggressive, as we have played very often together and don't usually clash too much because we respect each other's bets.

I didn't put him on a draw, and I know he would've raised with a straight, so I sort of felt like he had a set as well...or maybe 2 pair. That 4 on the river makes my hand a little nicer, but it is still very vulnerable. I decided to just call the $50 on the river, and villain flipped over pocket 6s for a higher boat. He said he was afraid I had the straight, and was surprised I didn't raise him here either.

Oh well...it was the most intriguing hand of the day, so I thought I'd share. Thanks for all the reponses, and good luck to ya'll.

-Nino
Old 03-14-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Thoughts/RESULTS

Tough luck. Well played. Ni han sir. You could have easily lost your stack here.