Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Keeping notes at a table. Why, of what, and how?

So this week, I'm going down to AC. You'd think I'd go more often, living only 45 minutes away, but I digress. Anyway, I'm going to be playing at Harrah's (since that's where the room is) and at the Borgata. Going to start out with 2/4 limit, evaluate, and move on up. So, here comes a slew of questions.

How many of you keep notes when you play live? Of what? Granted, cash in and cash out amounts, but what about play? Do you just makes notes of hands you were in to evaluate later, or do you actually keep notes on players? I have no intention of tightening people up with my little notebook, as I'll make it clear that I'm just "Writing an article for my college paper about poker and since they're paying for half..." Is it even allowed to keep notes at the table?

And as a side question, I'll be going down Thursday afternoon and staying the night. Provided I don't hit a horrible run and bust out, I play on staying down much of Friday and playing as well. What kind of quality should I expect in the games? I know that the weekends, especially at the Borg, are incredibly soft. What about Thursday and Friday nights? Several schools are on spring break now (including mine), but I don't know how much if at all that will affect the limit tables.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Keeping notes at a table. Why, of what, and how?

I'm a believer that if you're paying, you can do pretty much whatever you want - but keeping notes AT the table strikes me as bad form. Make notes when you're session is over, or take a bathroom break and jot something down if you need to.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a believer that if you're paying, you can do pretty much whatever you want - but keeping notes AT the table strikes me as bad form. Make notes when you're session is over, or take a bathroom break and jot something down if you need to.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing wrong with taking notes at the table. Read Dr Al's column in the current Card Player, or hang out with Mike Gallow for verification that nobody cares... he has proven that fact to me - LINK

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2005, 10:30 PM

The Borgata can have absurd wait times for 2/4. I've seen it take 6 hours for someone at #27 on the list to get to a table. That was a Saturday night, but you never know til you get there.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:48 PM

or hang out with Mike Gallo for verification that nobody cares..

Leave off the w. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2005, 12:00 AM

JKD,

How many of you keep notes when you play live?

I do. However I keep a journal for almost everything I do.

Do you just makes notes of hands you were in to evaluate later, or do you actually keep notes on players?

I keep notes of key hands. Lately for tournaments I have recorded every hand I play. I do keep notes on players. I do this because it allows me to factor in all variables and to give accurate details if I choose to post the hand.

Is it even allowed to keep notes at the table?

Yes no rules against.

And as a side question, I'll be going down Thursday afternoon and staying the night.

Send me a pm if you want to play $2-$4, $3-$6 or a no limit tournament Thursday night. As fate would have it, I planned on playing poker Thursday night.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:09 AM

but keeping notes AT the table strikes me as bad form.

Hogwash

Welcome aboard.