Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2005, 04:28 PM

Default flopped set pp $1k

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

BB ($404)
UTG ($1298)
UTG+1 ($850)
UTG+2 ($3348.75)
MP1 ($907.25)
MP2 ($1000)
Hero ($1405)
CO ($547)
Button ($285)
SB ($1182)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $5.
UTG calls $10, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls $20.

Flop: ($75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $45</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $207</font>, Hero calls $162.

My idea was to call and bet pot on non-heart turn, yet even while I type this I think my idea was incredibly stupid. Now I'm embarassed to even post this.

If he has 44 he's calling all-in, same with AT, maybe even with just hearts.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: flopped set pp $1k

i think its better to re-raise the flop. it gives him a chance to overplay a draw if thats what he has and it gives him a chance to talk himself into thinking you are overplaying a flush draw if he has AK/AQ. its not immediately clear to me how big a raise you should make, it depends a bit on the player and game conditions. against worse players a non allin raise that basically pot commits you is probably best while against better players it may be better to just push. generally speaking its worthwhile to fastplay strong hands on flops with draws because, as well as charging an opponent to draw, it allows them to put you on a hand they can convince themselves you could have that will get some calls from surprisingly weak hands. it also balances for the times you are making big semi bluffs with your draws. also, when a potential draw hits on the turn it can kill your action even when you still have the best hand.

you could also put yourself in a bit of a tricky spot on the turn by calling. if a heart hits and he bets is he betting a set of 4s or his flush? AK with the Ah? avoiding a tough turn decision isnt enough of a reason to raise the flop here if there are other benefits to just calling but i dont think there are here.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My idea was to call and bet pot on non-heart turn, yet even while I type this I think my idea was incredibly stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think its that stupid, but reraising is the better option IMO

I was thinking at first just call, but if a heart hits on the turn you are either 1) losing 2) not getting too much more out of him

He obviously likes his hand enough to throw down that big of a check raise, so put in another pot commiting raise in on the flop and hope he is either dumb enough to put a lot of money in on a draw or that he has AT, A4, 44.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:42 PM

i'd raise the full pot. it will look like an overplayed AK or flush draw, hopefully he can beat those, and push.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:17 PM

My idea was to call and bet pot on non-heart turn, yet even while I type this I think my idea was incredibly stupid. Now I'm embarassed to even post this.

He's representing something of strength. But even if he's only flush drawing, he's getting 1.8 to 1 from the pot. If he thinks you're not on two pair or a set, that's about the price he needs to call you. His shorter stack has to entice you into moving at him here. You want this guy paying you off, and his good sized raise tells you it's highly likely he's on something that's playable.

Put him in on the spot (but you seem to know that).

- C -
Old 03-13-2005, 11:45 PM

I just move in.