Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Poker Concepts

Hi All

Having read about a million posts i have come to the conclusion that it would be very helpful to most players(including me) to try to understand the most important concepts regarding post-flop play. I think once you understand the most important concepts you can tweak them regarding your own play. Btw i think this was one of the major contributions of Eds book SSH.

1) In a raised pot you have to take more chances with marginal hands.For example, you call three limpers with A5s it gets raised behind you and 6 people call with 12sb in the pot. The flop comes A 7 2 and the guy to your immediate right bets you have to raise to thin out the field even though the pre-flop raiser is behind you.I can't tell you how many players just call in that situation and then complain about being drawn out on.

2)When your on a flush draw or straight draw you should be raising for value if there are enough players in or if your draw is strong enough to be trying to knock players out if it will buy you more outs.Also, let the pot size help you to determine how you should play it.If the pot is small you probably want to keep players in so make the proper adjustment.

3)Playing overcards which i think is one of the trickiest hands to play when you have 2-4 callers.Look at the texture of the board and if there are a lot of draws available you should be MORE inclined to bet,whereas if the flop came Q 7 2 they would have less hands available and you should be less inclined to bet. A great example of this was the post by BIG ENDIAN when the board came 9d 8d 8c 9h and Nate advised due to the heavy draw board and the board being paired there was a good chance you have the best hand.

3)Waiting to the turn raise( Here goes)I think of all the concepts this has been the most misunderstood.Me being the poster child.I think that you have to let the POT SIZE and the texture of the board help you here.When the pot STARTS to get over 18-20sb(this is arbitrary) then your SOLE consideration s/b to win the pot at any cost.

4)(Pre-flop) Playing out of the blinds.Chris Daddy's hand example of Js7s was terrific.Since he was getting 7-1 he made the call and Clark said he would make the call with J7o.In another words when the POT SIZE is laying you a price it is worth taking more chances even if it is marginal. Since your in the bb or sb for that matter Don't overlook the fact your getting a better price to proceed.

I have just TOUCHED on some of the concepts and i hope some others will chime in with more important CONCEPTS that would be helpful to all our play.Thanks. Ice
Old 03-13-2005, 07:22 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Poker Concepts

[ QUOTE ]
When the pot STARTS to get over 18-20sb(this is arbitrary) then your SOLE consideration s/b to win the pot at any cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

I start thinking this when the pot is about 8-10 sbs going into the flop. That doesn't mean Ill auto-wait to the turn at that amount, but I want to start maximizing my chances of winning at that time.

b