Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Should I have been greedy?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (7 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 8 BB

My thought was that I would protect my hand by raising, since there was already 10SB in the pot and I didn't want anyone picking up a redraw on the turn. Plus, with 8 players you would think that somebody would at least have another 10.

Maybe checking the turn to try to induce a bluff on the river would have been a better play, since it was a blank?

I guess this might just be a "bad victory" post.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Should I have been greedy?

[ QUOTE ]
My thought was that I would protect my hand by raising

[/ QUOTE ]

Protect against what?

[ QUOTE ]
since there was already 10SB in the pot and I didn't want anyone picking up a redraw on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is still fairly small. If you check here there are plenty of hands behind you that will call that are virtually drawing dead.

[ QUOTE ]
with 8 players you would think that somebody would at least have another 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... there is only one ten left in the deck...

I think this is a great spot to "slowplay" The pot is still fairly small, No draws out there. If there had been a flushdraw or if the 4 had been a 8,9,J,Q,K the raise had been in order but, as it is a call here and a raise on the turn (or the river...) is better...

Slowplaying is generally not a good idea though... be wary of bringing up that subject on these forums as people can be a little touchy about it... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2005, 02:09 PM

even though i dont really like slowplaying trips.. this is almost a perfect place to slowplay.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even though i dont really like slowplaying trips.. this is almost a perfect place to slowplay.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-13-2005, 03:34 PM

MP1 is a bit early for ATo for me. I usually leave it for late middle at least.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:23 PM

This board is totally uncoordinated, so I really don't think protecting your hand is an issue. Also, you have top kicker, so I'm not too worried about someone else with a ten (if I lose to a boat made by ten-rag here, I can live with it). Definitely try to keep customers here.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:32 PM

I actually don't think that raising is that bad here because usually if the bettor doesn't have a ten the turn will be checked to you a lot of the time. Whiffing on the flop raise. Also if someone does have a ten,after you raise, you may be checkraised on the turn allowing a 3-bet. Plus they will still often call down with a hopeless pocket pair. But slowplaying this board, as crappy as it is, is a viable option.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:28 PM

Having 8 players really scared me, since I always get beat.

Next time I'll lay the trap, though.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A, T .
UTG calls, 1 fold, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls , MP2 calls, MP3 calls, 1 fold, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

UGH