Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Tight table that all of sudden becomes loose [AJs in MP1]

The last few orbits were a blind steal fest. Would you have overcalled on the river as well?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (10.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB
Old 03-13-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Tight table that all of sudden becomes loose [AJs in MP1]

My guess is that Button likes to be tricky when he flops big hands (or I guess maybe he has AT or something like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]), and I'm also not really sure you're ahead of UTG+2 (he could have AK or AQ, for instance, but could also be scared of Button's flop call-cap).

But I'd probably pay off. I tend to do that when I have a decent hand and I can't figure out what's going on and it's only one more bet to me. And occasionally what I discover is that I'm in fact not paying off but have the best hand.

One thing that makes me even less confident than I would be otherwise is that Button could be compensating for the table's tightness by slowplaying something big. But there is another possibility: He could have capped the flop in an effort to slow down the action (which unfortunately strengthens the AT and A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] possibilities), and the river raise could be a desperate attempt to buy the pot or at least eliminate UTG+2.

Edit: I misread the action slightly. (I thought UTG+2 was the PFR.) The fact that UTG+2 didn't raise preflop strengthens the case for the river overcall, I think, though I still wouldn't really expect to win.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:31 AM

This was just one of those "WTF?" hands. UTG2 had T8s and Button had A6s. MHING.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:34 AM

I don't really like the PF call, I don't think your position is quite good enough. I fold it.

If you feel like you can fold the turn to a raise you should bet it. Giving a free card here isn't awful though as it's looking like a way ahead/way behind situation with the drawless flop (but button's call two cold/cap really scares me).

I call the river raise.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:41 AM

I think UTG+2 and Button both played this hand so unusually and probably incorrectly whatever they hold that I would have to call.