Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2002, 03:41 AM

Default $60-$120 Hand

I am in the big blind having the Kc-9c in this 9-handed $60-$120 game. A solid player limps in under-the-gun. It is folded to a stranger sitting in middle position who makes it $120. It is folded to me. I call as well as the under-the-gun player. There is $400 in the pot and three players. The flop is: Kd-9d-6h, giving me the top two pair. I bet. The under-the-gun player makes it $120. The preflop raiser calls $120 cold. I make it $180 and both opponents call. There is $940 in the pot. The turn is the 2s. I bet $120. The under-the-gun player calls. The preflop raiser now makes it $240. Should I make it $360 or just call?

I will post the results later.
Old 09-29-2002, 05:03 AM

Default Hello,Jim! I put the...

pre-flop raiser on A's. Cap it!
Since he was not aggressive on the flop,I do not believe he has a set.
The UTG just called the flop.
Hence,the pre-flop raiser put him on K's only since UTG raised pre-flop and just called the flop when a "K" appeared. Hence,UTG "told" the stranger that he did not have a set of K's.
So he came out gunning with his A's on the turn.
I do not believe he would be aggressive pre-flop with pocket 2's.
So I don't give him a set of 2's.
Since U have top two pairs,the odds favor U.
Bet the living day lights with this hand!

Happy pokering,
SittingBull
Old 09-29-2002, 05:11 AM

Default Sorry Jim! Mis-read you post1 errors occur in my post--But i

would still play this hand aggressively.
Sitting Bull
Old 09-29-2002, 05:33 AM

Default Re: $60-$120 Hand

I suspect you're facing a flush-draw from UTG, and an AK holding from the stranger. If true they both have more outs than you. Raise.

A set of sixes is the only realistic reason for you to be worried.

But you never know of course.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:01 PM

I don't see a re-raise as holding a whole lot of value here. Even when you have the pre-flop raiser beat, he's going to out-draw you a portion of the time. It looks like the limper has a king which you're in good shape to. Picking up his likely overcall on the turn, nets you the same $$ as a re-raise with less risk. Maybe bet the river though. IMO-
Old 09-29-2002, 12:07 PM

Could you be dominated here? Reraise with some trepidation.
Could be up against KK or 99, but I think it's aces.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:11 PM

Raise...no doubt almost for sure you are ahead. If you are behind to a set you will most likely have outs to a bigger full house, since it is unlikely he has a set of Ks or 9s. UTG most likely has nut diamonds or a big King. If you dont make them pay now when calling with the hand preflop when will you?

Swiss Cheese
Old 09-29-2002, 12:58 PM

Jim,

I suppose you can figure a stranger to be a weak player until proven otherwise (this works well in Southern California at smaller limits), but I would fold BTF if both opponents were solid. The two flush won’t help you much and K9 suited might as well be Kx suited in this sequence. Both opponents are likely to have cards higher than a nine and if they have a king, you are certainly dominated.

On the flop I would play it the same way and would be concerned that the pre flop raiser called two bets cold and a later raise.

The pre flop raiser showed a strange and scary cold call on the flop and has raised the turn. Both indicate lots of strength so I would probably just call.

Regards,

Rick

Old 09-29-2002, 01:25 PM

Jim:
Pre-flop raiser raises preflop (how's that for logic?); calls two bets cold on the flop and then calls a third bet when you re-raise; and reraises your lead bet on the turn. I have to doubt that the turn card hit his hand, so whatever he's proud of on the turn, he likely held already on the flop. Could it be a slow-played set? On the one hand, how could a set (it would almost have to be 9's that made an isolation raise pre-flop or K's) not put in a re-raise on the flop to charge opponent's drawing hands for the opportunity? On the other, how likely is a player with something less (AA? AK?)going to call 2 bets on the river, and then raise on the turn? I'm not saying that calling the flop and raising the turn is a silly bet -- but the notion of pot size management (keeping it small so as to be able to charge draws a double big bet where they don't get pot odds to chase) isn't one I'm used to seeing on the part of the random stranger at the table.

If you're ahead of the pre-flop raiser (who, in this scenario, has AA or AK for top pair, top kicker), you'd probably prefer to ditch UTG if you could. If you're behind the pre-flop raiser who has an improbable set (and has played it improbably), you are either drawing dead or drawing very slim (hoping to find him with 99 and catching a King). If I thought a re-raise would get UTG to fold, I'd re-raise (but I haven't decided whether I'd fold to another raise by the pre-flop raiser or call him down). But I suspect UTG would stay in for 2 big bets, so I suspect I'd go into check-call mode on the turn.

The UTG is somewhat easier to read -- I'd put him on a gutshot straight flush draw with QJ, JT, or QT in diamonds. He has 12 outs to beat you - nine diamonds and the non-diamond straight cards.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:14 PM

I would checkraise the flop to try to lose the player in the middle or make him pay to chase. On the turn, I think it depends on your knowledge of the player. I would lean towards calling bt if he would do this with something like AK, I would reraise. A set of 9's or K's is possible, but he may be raising for a free showdown. I do think a checkraise on the flop is pretty clear though and defines your hand a bit more...it may have been more difficult for him to raise the turn without a real powerhouse if you had played like that.

Jeff