Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Can you beat this game?

I've been playing cards, most low to high limit home games, for two decades now. Played in the occasional NLHE tourney, and have won money overall - perhaps doubling my buyins. By no means am I an NLHE expert, but this one home NLHE tourney is perplexing me.

About 20 players, $100 buyin gets 10000 in chips, no rebuys. Blinds start at 100-200, with 100 antes. After first 90 minutes, blinds double, but antes remain the same. There are maybe two players who have a clue, the rest are there for purely social reasons - I have to remind them to put in blinds, whose turn etc.

I've been eliminated fairly early (about 2 hour mark) each time when I've made decent preflop (1000-2000) with 1000 in pot with AA,QQ. Both times I've been eliminated.

With AA, player called with Q8. 883 floped.

Last night with QQ, player called with K5. 558 flopped.

These players are weak, but no so bad that they won't fold to a big bet. I feel like I'm giving up too much by going allin preflop, but against these players is it the best strategy?

In a ring game, I could be patient, wait for monsters and take all their money. But I don't have that luxury in a tourney.

Any advice.

Manku