Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2005, 11:25 AM

Default River bet ?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (4.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Final Pot: 4.50 BB

Should I have bet on the river here?
And more importantly should I do it as a rule, I mean when the betting is passive from my opponents like in this hand?

I appreciate your views.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: River bet ?

Bet the river. The river card changed nothing. You will definately be called by JT here, and probably a lot of other stuff. If you check, and call, you will lose a higher percentage of hands, than if you bet and are called. Bet the river.

Whenever you have values from the flop, and you haven't been raised before the river, you should probably as a rule bet the river. Especially when it is headsup, and you are giving up position.

I wouldn't say that this is the easiest river bet ever, but it ties with a lot of other hands for the second easiest.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:40 AM

yeah, bet that. everything bob said
Old 03-12-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (4.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Final Pot: 4.50 BB

Should I have bet on the river here?
And more importantly should I do it as a rule, I mean when the betting is passive from my opponents like in this hand?

I appreciate your views.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a perfect example of a value bet situation. You can safely fold to a raise, and there are many hands that will pay you off. Think of it this way, if you played this hands 10K times, you'd be up $$$ by betting this river.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:40 PM

Thanks,

I have gone from being a weak player to less week due to suggestions from players at this forum and my game has picked up a bit.

I’m sure your suggestions here can give me an extra bet every now and then and pick it up even further.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:42 PM

Does anybody raise preflop? I miiight but I'm not sure if QTs is pushing it.

Also, add another "bet the river" vote.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:55 PM

Does anybody raise preflop?

Damn! This is a great example of why you don't title your posts 'River bet?'.

I missed that, because I was concentrating on the river action. Yes, you can go ahead and raise this preflop. You most likely have an equity edge, and if you like the flop, you are going to come out betting anyway, so you may as well charge them two bets to get to the turn, if you are going to continue.

I think if every time the pot is unraised when it reaches you in the blinds, and you have two suited broadway cards you can raise. You make money two ways with this play, first, you probably make money directly, because most often you have an equity edge with this play. Secondly, now you aren't just raising AA, KK, QQ or AK preflop from the blinds, so you probably get a little bit more action when you do raise with those big hands.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the added suggestions,

But do I really have an equity edge pre-flop?

I usually draw the line at big Broadway suited or not and 88+ i.e. high card strength or pair for that play when only one player have limped. I usually consider QTs borderline in this situation. The player was loose so I didn't think he would fold for a flop bet. But I probably would have got BB out.

hmm...

Perhaps I’m a bit to tight.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:36 PM

I think this is an easy raise pre-flop, especially if the player is loose. Then you can get the big blind out of there, and you're likely ahead, or at least have position to read the situation postflop.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But do I really have an equity edge pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends how loose UTG+1 is.