Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Hand Evaluation

I'm not real good on the abbreviations for table position yet but I'll do my best.
5 people left in a 10 person 5+1 nl sng. I'm last in chips with about $1000 and am dealt KQh in big blind. Blinds are at 60/120.

Button raises 120 who's also the chip leader.

I call.

Flop comes 9h Jh 6s.

I check and he puts me all in.

I call.

He turns over AJ and I dont hit a 10 or a heart on the turn and flop. Did I misplay the hand badly? I felt like I had quite a few outs and was shortstacked.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Hand Evaluation

Well, let me give you my two cents on a couple of things.

Since the button is the chip leader and may very well be trying to steal the short stack's BB (although the minraise is troubling), I'm apt to push all my chips before the flop.

But just calling isn't a horrible idea, IMHO.

If you call preflop, I like the play of checking this flop in the hope your opponent will bet at it. Since he is the chip leader and raised preflop, this is likely. I want him to bet here so that I can get all of my money in with such a strong hand.

Another play would be to push the flop to give yourself an extra way to win the pot. But I would rather encourage my opponent to put money in the pot when I am most likely a favorite to double up and in serious need of chips.

Of course if you knew he held AJ, you would realize that no matter what you did (check or bet) all the money was probably going in there. But that's okay.

After the flop hits, you have a big hand because of all the cards you can hit. In fact, you are a fairly significant favorite over the AJ (59.63% using my lazy PStove math).

You are almost always going to be the favorite over your opponent's holding in this situation.

*DISCLAIMER*
I'm not a very good tournament player.