Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 03:18 PM

Default The best way to learn?

Hi,

So I've been playing poker now for about 3 months on and off, and am a solid 3/4 BB ring player at 0.5/1 on party. Then I started playing SnG's and found them much more interesting than the ring game and proceeded break even/slightly + or so over the last few months.

While my sample size is too small to really tell how Im playing what are some good ways to get better. I read 2+2 often(including the greatly helpful 10+1 guide) and go back and look at hands I lost but I can't help but wonder if theres better way to learn the material and get better at beating these games.

Are there specific books that anyone believes relate greatly to making the jump for basic SnG player to good SnG player?

Is it advisible to look for a mentor or some more experienced friends and get them to comment on your play/help you?

If you were going to go back to when you started playing SnG's whats the one thing you wish you have learned or done earlier?

Any information and help are much appreciated, and I stand in awe of some of the deep analysis I see on this board every day.

Onv
Old 03-11-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: The best way to learn?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

So I've been playing poker now for about 3 months on and off, and am a solid 3/4 BB ring player at 0.5/1 on party. Then I started playing SnG's and found them much more interesting than the ring game and proceeded break even/slightly + or so over the last few months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. That's why many people switch.

[ QUOTE ]
While my sample size is too small to really tell how Im playing what are some good ways to get better. I read 2+2 often(including the greatly helpful 10+1 guide) and go back and look at hands I lost but I can't help but wonder if theres better way to learn the material and get better at beating these games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Play, post, read, think, repeat.

[ QUOTE ]
Are there specific books that anyone believes relate greatly to making the jump for basic SnG player to good SnG player?

[/ QUOTE ]

This forum. That guide you already read, along with the many commentaries on it. Especially those from players who's comments are "I'm always short stacked, what's up with that?"

[ QUOTE ]
Is it advisible to look for a mentor or some more experienced friends and get them to comment on your play/help you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't pay a penny for such advice when you have access to this forum to do it for free.

[ QUOTE ]
If you were going to go back to when you started playing SnG's whats the one thing you wish you have learned or done earlier?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tightened up preflop. Eh, I did most of my thinking about playing these before I got serious about them. Be careful with your bankroll. I adamantly refulse to redeposit, so that's just me and all, but I find that it works for me. Advice not necessarilly from my own experience: Don't rush yourself up the stakes, Don't rush yourself to multi tabling, don't let one bad streak make you think you're terrible, but don't always think it's just bad luck. Don't think you're a world beater when you run good for a couple of days, but don't always think it's just good luck either. Read a lot. Especially the good old posts, or good new posts. Don't tilt. Be aware of your mental status and honestly evaluate your game.

[ QUOTE ]
Any information and help are much appreciated, and I stand in awe of some of the deep analysis I see on this board every day.

Onv

[/ QUOTE ]

While I probably don't provide any of that awe inspiring stuff, welcome to the forum.

citanul
Old 03-11-2005, 03:41 PM

Can you tell me where the 10+1 guide is? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:41 PM

Link
Old 03-11-2005, 03:48 PM

>>>This forum is better than any book, although you will learn some concepts from TOP, TPFAP, and HOH that will help you understand some things on this forum better.

>>> Yes. The advice on this board is free, but that doesn't always mean it is correct. You also can't be sure that you are applying the information correctly. Having someone to evaluate THAT is priceless.

>>> I wish I had learned how streaky these things can be. I also wish I had realized how much fun they are a year ago. My introduction to SNGs began like this, "I have $7 in my account, that's not enough for a ring game, I guess I'll try a tournament."

Working off a bonus in a ring game now, is torture.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Working off a bonus in a ring game now, is torture.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-11-2005, 04:14 PM

Thats kinda scary, killing bonuses has been the biggest BR builder for me.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:20 PM

I'm assuming you're talking about NL SNGs, as opposed to limit?

I think lots of people (myself included) vastly prefer NL to limit hold'em. There are some games - draw, stud - that I have no problem playing limit in, but limit hold'em bores me to death for some reason. So as long as you don't start to hate limit, feel free to go clear all of those bonuses just as you were before.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:58 PM

1st post in this forum.

Here is how I started about 18 months ago (NL tourn/sng only).
1 - read any books I could find (about 25 currently)
2 - played $1+0 tournaments for about 10 months to test the concepts with minimal risk. About $40 profit but tiring.
3 - discovered forums like this and read, read, read
4 - switched to mix of 40% $5 sng, 50% $2 2 table and 10% freeroll mtt. Last 8 months produced $800 profit.

I don't keep stats like some people but base on bankroll/profit which works for me.

Content to stay at lower limits while still learning.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:05 PM

Buy Poker Tracker or similar. Use it.

Slim