Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Should I have trapped here?

What should be my play here? Villian is very LAG, and I have a relatively tight image, but have stolen a few blinds, and been caught once.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (8 handed) converter

CO (t11490)
Button (t21496)
SB (t6685)
BB (t5075)
UTG (t6280)
UTG+1 (Villian)/ (t16899)
Hero (t12000)
MP2 (t4320)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 :#A500AF(Villian)/ raises to t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t900</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+1 :#A500AF(Villian)/ calls t600.

Flop: (t2025) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

TT
Old 03-11-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Well...

I'd put a nice sized chunk of money in the pot right away... consider folding if you get played back at (but consider his LAG style).

Going slow just gives him a chance to pick up something that beats you. That's a mighty dangerous flop. You have a mighty good hand, though.

Check-raising might be good... but don't dawdle. Get the money in the middle now that you are a favorite.

Keep in mind if you check raise you get either 0 or 2 bets off of him. If you bet and he calls or raises you can three bet and get 3.

If you are sure he'll bet... MAYBE checkraise.

Still... if he might raise your bet then betting is better.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Well...

Why would you possibly fold? Even if behind you have the nut flush draw and gutshot straight. With the amount of money in the pot then, you more than have the odds to call.

And what is this about 3bet? This is NL, there is no # of bets to get off somebody here.
And if this was limit, that makes it even mroe ridiculous to possibly fold on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd put a nice sized chunk of money in the pot right away... consider folding if you get played back at (but consider his LAG style).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-11-2005, 07:58 AM

There is no folding this hand.

Gavin
Old 03-11-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a mighty dangerous flop. You have a mighty good hand, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero flopped TPTK with a nut flush draw. What are you talking about?

[ QUOTE ]

Check-raising might be good...

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain is UTG+1, Hero is MP1. How can hero check-raise?

Any, I don't want to sound mean. But please, please, get your facts together. This boards are already cluttered with senseless posts as it is.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind if you check raise you get either 0 or 2 bets off of him. If you bet and he calls or raises you can three bet and get 3.

If you are sure he'll bet... MAYBE checkraise.

Still... if he might raise your bet then betting is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a NO-LIMIT tournament. You would think you would read the original post before replying.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Going slow just gives him a chance to pick up something that beats you. That's a mighty dangerous flop. You have a mighty good hand, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you mad? Let's say our villain is holding A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], which would be the nuts on the flop. Our hero is still a 88% favorite to win the hand. This is the perfect hand to trap.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:49 PM

Did I misread this? I know you couldn't have possibly told him to fold this hand, or even consider it.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Should I have trapped here?

First, you are willing to put all your chips in the middle here, come what may, you are not folding this hand. You have top pair, nut flush draw and a nut gut shot. Should you be losing at the moment, you have 12 outs to a winner.

Challenger is a LAG. He very well may hate this flop. He may have 77. But he will likely bet if you let him. I check to him. If he bets, I pretend like I'm thinking real hard, and I call. Turn comes - doesn't matter what it is. Check again, he bets. You think, you think, you raise. Triple his bet or more. The idea being, the worst thing in the world would be for him to check behind you on the river, so you might as well bet hoping to get him to pay for the hope of that next card. His action here determines what you do on the river. If he calls and the river is no help to you, check/call. If it does help you, bet it out.

Let's say he checks behind you on the flop. Lead out on the turn, but make it a small bet - one that invites a raise. The "act meek when you have a hand" theory actually works against LAGs.

Long story short, yes you trap here. On the flop there is a 45% chance that you will have the nuts when the cards are out. As it stands, you have TPTK. Go into chip extraction mode.

CSC
Old 03-11-2005, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Should I have trapped here?

i'd have to disagree.
If he checks, I am checking also.
Just about any high card that doesn't give you a straight, a flush or is a K is a major scare card as it could give him trips or a straight (an A).

I bet around 2/3-3/4s of the pot and hope he calls.
I'm not giving him a free shot to hit his outs as it will be very difficult to get away from a hand here.