Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 05:59 PM

Default AA against flop minraise on paired board

$50 Max NL full table (.25/.50). Hero ($55) in SB picks up A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villain ($62), who hasn't done anything noteworthy in the 20 hands since I joined, is UTG+1 and he limp-calls my raise to $1.25 as did the button. BB folded, so there is $4.25 in the pot.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I lead out for $3 and Villain makes it $6, button folds, I call with the intention of check calling a turn spade and check raising almost anything else. I think Villain could be raising the flop with an overpair, trips, or a strong draw. Maybe a 7.

Turn is the Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and it's checked through. I'm thinking Villain is likely on a draw and I just gave him a free card.

River is the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Is this a good spot to let Villain bet the river?

Comments on any street are appreciated.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: AA against flop minraise on paired board

My opinion is that he has a mid/small pair and was raising for information to see if u missed the flop with overcards.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:25 PM

a better question... what is with that pf raise? the BB is .50 and you raise it $1.25? You raised it 1.5 bb? That raises does nothing... it doesn't substantially increase the pot. It doesn't put anyone out who was going to play anyways.

Due to your raise, I don't think you can put anyone on any hand. That raise isn't going to weed out any hand that would have limped. Therefore, 8-9s is just as likely as a PP.

Raise more PF (should reduce the chance he has a nine)
Reraise his raise on the flop.

"River is the 3 . Is this a good spot to let Villain bet the river?" I personally wouldn't give him a chance to check it through.

Note everything is contingent on a bigger raise preflop. With a more substantive PF raise, I'm less likely to rule out that a player might have a 9.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a better question... what is with that pf raise? the BB is .50 and you raise it $1.25? You raised it 1.5 bb? That raises does nothing... it doesn't substantially increase the pot. It doesn't put anyone out who was going to play anyways.

Due to your raise, I don't think you can put anyone on any hand. That raise isn't going to weed out any hand that would have limped. Therefore, 8-9s is just as likely as a PP.

Raise more PF (should reduce the chance he has a nine)
Reraise his raise on the flop.

"River is the 3 . Is this a good spot to let Villain bet the river?" I personally wouldn't give him a chance to check it through.

Note everything is contingent on a bigger raise preflop. With a more substantive PF raise, I'm less likely to rule out that a player might have a 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post kurto, I agree completely.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is with that pf raise? the BB is .50 and you raise it $1.25? You raised it 1.5 bb? That raises does nothing

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wanted to raise $2 and fat-fingered it. Better than clicking the fold button by mistake I guess. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I personally wouldn't give him a chance to check it through.

[/ QUOTE ]
I actually bet $5 on the river. Afterwards I wondered if a check would be better given that I checked the turn because I could potentially make more against a missed draw and avoid the river raise if I was behind.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:52 PM

2$ is still small. You're OOP with a very difficult to get away from hand against a pair of limpers. 3 is the minimum I'd go with here.