Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 04:30 PM

Default QQ on Ace High Flop

Stars 20+2 Blinds 25-50
I have 1000 Villain (appears solid) has me covered.
QQ UTG I raise to 150 Villain calls in MP.

Flop (375) is A92 rainbow.
I check, Villain bets 300, I push.

There's gotta be a better line.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: QQ on Ace High Flop

I think you need to lead out on the flop here. Throw a bet of 200 out there to see what kind of reaction you get from Villian. If he calls, than you can shut it down and check the turn. If you get raised, than you are probably way behind and can fold.

By not betting the flop you have no idea if you are way behind or if he is trying to use his position to buy the pot.

I'm not too sure about the push. I think it's a better option than calling but depending on my read of Villian, I may have to lay this one down.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:49 PM

I hate leading here because

1) If Villain folds I just folded out a weaker PP - not good
2) What does a typical $20 player do when they hold AK/AA and an ace flops on a bone dry board? Any bet on this flop screams "Take this pot from me please."
Old 03-10-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate leading here because

2) What does a typical $20 player do when they hold AK/AA and an ace flops on a bone dry board? Any bet on this flop screams "Take this pot from me please."

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't really argue too much with that line of thinking. I play 20s as well and and the problem with pushing is that so many players will call raises with all sorts of Ace hands. I don't think the average $20 SNG player will fold A10 or even A8 here. If the flop were King high than I would probably agree with the push but I'd be very reluctant to put my tournament at risk with that Ace out there.

Actually, I'm looking at that flop bet again. A bet of 300 seems like he really doesn't want a call. Hmmmmm...

Maybe I play to tight/scared?
Old 03-10-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When the pot is big in relation to my stack, I quickly lose interest in extracting more bets. I want the pot and I don't want someone bluffing me off my pot.

You can stop the bluff by betting out, or checkraising like you did. The checkraise involves putting your whole stack in play when there is a good chance he isn't bluffing.

Therefore, I'll bet 200, and if he pushes with 72o, more power to him.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:09 PM

yeah, you gotta lead here headsup

2/3rds the pot and slow down if you get called, muck if raised most likely

I think that checkraising all in ont he flop is pretty bad to be honest. If he is betting his ace into you, then you're putting all your chips in drawing practically dead.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:13 PM

If there's a reasonable draw on board I lead here. It just seems to me that a thinking opponent would look at a lead on that board and go, "why did he feel the need to bet that?"

I definitely agree that if I'm leading, 200 is the perfect amount.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:21 PM

My take is that leading at the pot may be a viable play here. He has you covered so last thing you want to get into is a situation where you are forced into a 2-outer with 2 cards to go. A bet between 50% and 100% of the pot would give a good indication of what's going on I think. I normally don't subscribe to the "bet to see where you are" because you could just be throwing money away, but this may force a fold especially with you bringing it in. Represent for the first two bets, and if he doesn't play back but simply calls, see if you can check the hand to the end (showdown) and save some money in the process. Just another opinion in the sea of poker knowledge [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot's big enough for your top pair. I'd definitely consider your line in a cash game, but in a tournament I'll take as many chips as I can SAFELY get.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd have been forced to make a decision that is correct most of the time. MAYBE you will bluffed out of a pot, but you're NOT gonna make a $20+2 player lay down a pair of aces, despite the strength your very strong check-raise represents.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:37 PM

Don't get me wrong, my fold equity is zero against any ace. I realize this.