Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Folding 2 Pair on Turn versus a LAG

Party 3/6...Button is a sLAG (28/18/3) over 100 hands. He's not a maniac. His 3bet range would include normal 2bet raising hands, and he is definitely not a TAG on a good run of cards. BB is LAP(45/8/.8).

What do you think of the flop play? I bet to represent a big Ace and because I might have the best hand.

Since I didn't get raised on the flop, I bet out again on the turn. When Button, popped me, I was behind most logical hands that he might have had. At best, I was drawing to a split if he had QK. I didn't have the effective odds to draw to a boat. So I folded. Is this okay?

Hero raises UTG w/Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], folded to Button who 3bets. SB folds. BB calls two. Hero Calls

Flop(9 SBs) Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets, Button Calls, BB Calls

Turn(6 BBs) K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets, Button Raises, BB Folds, Hero Folds

Button wins $53
Old 03-10-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Folding 2 Pair on Turn versus a LAG

I don't fold two pair heads-up against LAGs very often, so I probably would have called down, hoping to chop with KQ or even to see AJ (or a worse ace, given that 18% PFR number).

I agree that the situation on the turn doesn't look very good, though. I think most of the time you're either chopping or have 0-4 outs. Mathematically, you're more likely behind than chopping, given the cards we know, and the pot's not all that big anyway. I don't think hands like AJ and AT should be completely ruled out, though.

In any event, whatever you might have observed about your opponent's tendency to wait until the turn to raise (and also his tendency to play aggressively with top pair on scary boards or even bluff-raise such boards) is a consideration here, I think.