Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Pub Poker League

I happened to stop by a local bar and saw a banner "Free Poker Texas Holdem Tournament". It was just about to start so I gave it try. There were about thirty players on six handed tables starting with 3000 in chips. The level of players was down right awful, but it was a heck of alot of fun. I ended up 2nd, behind this 22-year old girl who was catching awesome cards. After I got home, I looked more into it and found out this is a nationwide promotion to get people into bars playing poker. Now it may not be the the best quality play one could find, but it's good experience for newbies who's only experience is online. And you can't beat the price. Check it out at:

www.pubpokerleague.com

There was no money involved. The winner got a t-shirt. When we got heads up, I joking said, "Shall we discuss a chop?" .....she had no idea what I was talking about.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Pub Poker League

Kind of got to watch these...

A guy I work with started his own copy of the pub league. He was handing out flyers at work, so I had a few questions for him...

The competition is giving away in the TOC style event a seat to a WSOP main satilite. I asked him what he had to offer. So he proceeds to tell me "the other guys are just giving away a seat to watch the main event, we are actually giving away one seat so you actually play and not just watch!". It was all I could do to keep from busting a rib laughing at him. He did not even know what a satilite was!

So I give him a little more rope and ask "So do you have a floor or director?", his answer "we are not a corporation, just a partnership, so no executives in our 'company'". Again I thought I was going to break a rib.

I finally lower the boom on him and asked if he had ever played poker live or even on the internet for more than play money. "YES! for years!", "so can anything beat AAAA in a hold em game" his answer "No way, that is the best hand possible".

So becareful with these, lots of possible problems (not saying the pub league has these, but each one is run by locals, so your mileage may vary), e.g. no dealers or floor/director to settle disputes, poor knowledge and understanding of the poker world, a very stiff road to any real winnings that you may or may not ever be able to collect on.