Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 09:43 AM

Default AJs in CO-1 with 11xbb, late tourney, push?

Low buyin tourney last night, blinds 400/800, I'm sitting with ~9000 in CO-1 with AJs, one MP limper has me covered. Most stacks behind me also have me covered, but not by much (12-15xbb), so I'd put a nice dent in them. Table has gone very tight/passive, we're 30 from the money, and "sneaking in" is not a consideration for me.

I shoved because of my 11xbb stack, but I'm still uncomfortable with this "borderline" stack. The alternative would be to throw out a 3xbb raise, but this just puts me in a horrible situation if either the limper calls, or someone behind me smooth calls with a dominating ace. Even on an ace double rag flop, any bet on my part commits me.

I believe Harrington actually recommends limping in this situation, but that's without consideration for stack size. Min-raise not an option since it would be called w/90% certainty by the MP limper and BB. In essence, I'm a little confused by application of the ~10xbb push or fold rule since I often see it broken by better players late in a tourney. Any ideas?
Old 03-10-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Re: AJs in CO-1 with 11xbb, late tourney, push?

i'm new to the lingo, I understand CO-1 is cut off 1 but what's MP? mid position?

I don't push here because any call you get is likely to get dominated, I limp here and play poker. you could raise but what do you do when you get re-raised all-in? is AJ a big enough hand to get broke with? what do you put the MP player on? is a raise going to scare him off?
Old 03-10-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: AJs in CO-1 with 11xbb, late tourney, push?

First determine if you are redy to commit your stack on this hand. If I would play this hand (and I would) I mini-raise to capture the button as well as leaving me the option to fold to a push (probably would unless a mp-player does it because he usually as a midpair i these MTT:s).
If you are a new player you should push and let the others sweat a bit.
As for limping I never do it but since you have AJ suited it
isnīt "wrong" . And you can of course wait for a better spott/hand.