Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Greenstein on Hellmuth...im confused?!?

I have read Hellmuth's book and watched him play and from what it looks like to me he is a relatively tight player. He talks a lot about patience and how to play the big hands when you get them. He talks about playing small cards as well, but from what I have taken it he seems to be a tight player. I went to barry greenstein's website and he had written this on hellmuth. I was a tad bit confused, any input?

"Phil may go down as the pioneer in a method of playing a lot of hands and making small bets and raises that keep opponents in the pot, the theory being that he will make better decisions than they do on subsequent streets. This strategy guarantees large fluctuations and has a lot to say for it against weak opposition. This method would not work as well in a cash game where there is no rush to build up a chip stack and by virtue of playing too many pots opponents can easily take the betting lead away. In a tournament, the extra fear of going busted can keep your opponents at bay and the bad players are confused by what looks like mass hysteria to them. When Phil has his banter and his A-game working, he not only can control the table, but he can mesmerize the entire room.

Players who have been successful adopting a similar style are Gus Hansen, Layne Flack, Antonio Esfandiari, Alan Goehring, and to a small degree Daniel Negreanu."
-Greenstein