Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 03:50 PM

Default 10/20 Taj hand. Ready, fire, aim!

So I'm at the table of my dreams at the Taj. The gentleman on my right is playing every hand while he downs one Remy Martin after another. By the end of the evening he has lost about 800 bucks and his power of speech.
The villain here is a typical player in this donkfest; too loose/passive/aggressive only when he's got the goods kind of guy. Plays way too many hands and goes way too far with them.
Anyway, I'm UTG with AK off. I raise. Villain calls in the CO, and cognac man in the BB calls of course.
Flop comes K, 10, rag. Suits are irrelevant. I bet, CO calls, BB calls of course.
Turn is another K. I bet, CO calls, BB folds and calls for another Remy. I'm starting to wonder why the CO is still in this hand, but I went into brain-lock and didnt give it another thought.
River is a 9.
I bet, natch, and the CO raises. I call, muttering something brilliant like, "Waddaya got? K 10?" CO rolls 99 and MHING. (Weep not for me as it was an otherwise very profitable evening.)
Standard or does anyone here slow down and check the river?
Old 03-09-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: 10/20 Taj hand. Ready, fire, aim!

Nope. Very standard 10/20 terrible player bad beat story. You played it perfectly. This hand is the reason why the 10/20 level is so profitable. Players go way to far with a hand (he had to know he was chasing 2 outs) and when they raise 4th or 5th, its generally an "I have you beat" raise. You can't fold the river, you played it well.

-Jihad.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:10 PM

Easy bet. The guy could be calling with a 10 (most likely), a worse King, some kinda BS underpair (you said he plays bad). If he has an open ender and hit it, oh well, bet and pay off the raise. It's that easy. You will be called by many worse hands here and you might be raised by a worse hand.

BTW, don't put results in the post...it can skew responses. Wait a bit before posting them. The fact that he called all the way down with the 99 means he prob pays it off on the end if he misses also.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm at the table of my dreams at the Taj. The gentleman on my right is playing every hand while he downs one Remy Martin after another. By the end of the evening he has lost about 800 bucks and his power of speech.
The villain here is a typical player in this donkfest; too loose/passive/aggressive only when he's got the goods kind of guy. Plays way too many hands and goes way too far with them.
Anyway, I'm UTG with AK off. I raise. Villain calls in the CO, and cognac man in the BB calls of course.
Flop comes K, 10, rag. Suits are irrelevant. I bet, CO calls, BB calls of course.
Turn is another K. I bet, CO calls, BB folds and calls for another Remy. I'm starting to wonder why the CO is still in this hand, but I went into brain-lock and didnt give it another thought.
River is a 9.
I bet, natch, and the CO raises. I call, muttering something brilliant like, "Waddaya got? K 10?" CO rolls 99 and MHING. (Weep not for me as it was an otherwise very profitable evening.)
Standard or does anyone here slow down and check the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Repeat that scenario 23 times. 21 times you win 1 bet, 2 times you lose 2 bets. Profit=17 big bets or .74 big bets per hand.

So yes, good bet. You won about 15 Sklansky bucks by betting.