Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Too many people to push?

How many limpers is too many to push? Last night in a 3 MTT on party 9 left 300/150 blinds. I flop top and bottom pair, theres 4 limpers (sb,bb,mp,lp) and 2100 chips in the pot mp bets 300 lp calls I push my 3100 I'm on the button. Board A,7,4 rainbow. Good push or too many people?
Old 03-09-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Too many people to push?

Hi Van,

Who are the players in the hand, how solid are they and what did you put them on? I'll assume your A4 was suited, otherwise you should be folding pf.

There are only four players to the flop here. You have a strong, but not indestructible hand. Why is your concern "too many people to push"?

-Regards,
Old 03-09-2005, 01:18 PM

I put the blinds on garbage which was right because they both folded, after my all in. The mp I put on ace good kicker, the lp I figured was chasing something, maybe he had KQ of KJ thought he could get in cheap and wasn't smart enough to get out of the hand. I was worried about too many people because 4 people still have the option of calling my all in, which means 4 people saw the flop, increased chance that I'm beat.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was worried about too many people because 4 people still have the option of calling my all in, which means 4 people saw the flop, increased chance that I'm beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I see. There is that, but also an increased chance you are beat if you let people see the turn and river cheap. You must raise to protect and get value. If they all want to call you with the range of hands you mentioned then I would welcome that and let the chips fall where they may. That being said, TPGK is the only likely caller and that should give you a good pot. My only concern is the LP player call, as he might be slowplaying a set on a relatively draw free board. However I like your push.

Regards-
Old 03-09-2005, 01:42 PM

The only hand you need to worry about here is 77 or 44, either of which is a possibility. More likely you're looking at an unpaired ace and/or a pocket pair. I'd push and hope to get called.

My two cents,

Sam
Old 03-09-2005, 01:50 PM

Not to be harsh, but you played A4, hit the flop about as hard as you could reasonably ask for, but now have second thoughts about committing all your chips?

If you're not willing to push here, don't play the hand in the first place.

It's really as simple as that.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:03 PM

I did push, both blinds folded. MP called instantly called with ATo strangely, LP took forever to decide to call with his pocket 44s and take me out.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:14 PM

Figured that's where you were going with this post.

It happens, there's nothing you can do to avoid it.

But more often than turning over a set, your opp will flip up some hand like the ATo guy and you'll be pulling the pot.

Nice flop play... but I really don't like the limp with A4 for 9% of your stack in the first place.

Tell me, if the flop comes A73 rainbow and someone bets into you, are you really excited about your hand?
Old 03-09-2005, 03:27 PM

The table was passive, no one once defended their blinds. So I started to play like a LAG and doubled my stack. I'm always weary of pushing when I'm not heads up and especially after a flop has been seen, I did this exact same play (Two pair) in a B&M tournament on the weekend against only two limpers and got taken out by trips again. I've just come to the conclusion without nuts or desperation <5BB their are few times it makes sense to push, betting big works just as well but leaves out. I've trimmed down how often I push to very rarely and it's improved my consistency