Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 12:32 PM

Default poker friendly job suggestion

I'm day dreaming again at work and was wondering if there are jobs out there that one might consider as "poker-freindly"

This job will have to meet the following conditions.

(1) Give you the freedom (or even perhaps the permission) to play online during your idle hours.
(2) Offer 401K and health benefits.
(3) Have little visibility to others.

Does anyone have this job?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: poker friendly job suggestion

i'm sure a lot of it jobs fit this description. outside of that realm i'm curious as to what else might work. maybe working from home in some capacity...?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:43 PM

I see you plan on putting your Cornell education to good use...
Old 03-09-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm sure a lot of it jobs fit this description.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me some examples. What jobs will an HR department allow you to play online poker? It would be nice to play with a permission, so that I'm not always looking over my shoulder.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'm sure a lot of it jobs fit this description.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me some examples. What jobs will an HR department allow you to play online poker? It would be nice to play with a permission, so that I'm not always looking over my shoulder.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, a lot of it people don't have someone looking over their shoulder at the internet usage because they're the ones doing the looking [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i doubt an hr department in a company would openly tell you that it's ok for you to play online poker while you're "on the clock."
Old 03-09-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see you plan on putting your Cornell education to good use...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice catch [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
The degree served me well for the last 10 years and will continue to do so, even if I don't continue in my current career path. There are things you learn in college that you apply well beyond your job.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:37 PM

I am an accountant for a pension fund. My boss is very hands off. I get my job done and promptly take care of stuff she asks for and she pretends that she doesn't notice I am sometimes playing poker while I work.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:10 PM

Anything where you can work from home. I do editing from home and it meshes with my poker schedule nicely.

edit: this job *does* include benefits.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:08 PM

I thought I had the DREAM poker job lined up a while ago

3K a month +benefits to basically sit in an office 8 hours a day and your only responsibilty was to give the contact info of the boss on the rare occasion someone came by looking for him. He even provided a computer and internet access so "you dont get bored sitting there". I think it was a front for something illegal, but damn, who cares [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sadly, a rather attractive female with perky breasts got the job [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] man, not having tits is -EV
Old 03-09-2005, 03:15 PM

Pharmaceutical sales. Home office with no boss around (I see him once a month at most), and as long as you make your 10 sales calls per day, it doesn't matter how long you work (as long as your sales numbers are good). I average about 25 hours a week with a nice salary + bonus + 401k + great benefits + company car. I can come home for lunch (like I am right now) and play poker, and when I get done with work at 3:00 pm today, I'll come home and start playing. Oh, and I usually get to sleep until 9:00 am every morning as well, so I can usually play until 12:00 - 1:00 am. It's the perfect job for me, and it works out very well for me to treat poker as my "second job".