Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Free card play backfire?

Just to make sure if you guys can comment on this.

After reviewing this hand, I think the pot was a just little to small on the flop to be pushing this or was it still okay to go for the free card?

I did not expect to get capped behind me on the flop. Was my call to the cap okay?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Wada is Button with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Wada calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Wada 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP caps</font>, Wada calls, SB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Wada definitely has to call now??
Old 03-08-2005, 08:13 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Free card play backfire?

I don't like your limp. you should be either raising or folding in that spot, especially 5 handed

I don't care for your flop 3-bet either. the pot is too small for this stuff and the two tone board potentially kills some of your outs

and yes you have to call with the nut flush draw
Old 03-08-2005, 08:19 PM

Generally raising for a gut shot + over card in a small pot is not the best play in the world.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2005, 08:30 PM

plus bd flush draw.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your limp. you should be either raising or folding in that spot, especially 5 handed

I don't care for your flop 3-bet either. the pot is too small for this stuff and the two tone board potentially kills some of your outs

and yes you have to call with the nut flush draw

[/ QUOTE ]

Page 81 SSHE - Raise AKs - A8s. Play same hands you would from MP. Page 80 MP - Play A2s.

Your saying to raise or fold. SSHE says to play. Why do you think I should raise or fold?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:31 PM

Im also considering the backdoor flush draw as well. Also my reraise was to fold a better Ace and buy the out. So you think had this pot been bigger then you would be okay with the flop reraise for the free card? (which I agree as I mentioned in the beginning of the post)
Old 03-08-2005, 08:33 PM

raise or fold because you want your A with no kicker to win rather than play to your wheel and flush draw potential, and this isn't a large field.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:33 PM

no - well how big?

I'm pretty sure Im dumping this hand unless there were a fuckton of chips in the middle.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't care for your flop 3-bet either. the pot is too small for this stuff and the two tone board potentially kills some of your outs

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think if the pot were larger that this 3-bet might
not be bad due to the small chance of cleaning up an ace out? I do agree that the pot is way to small to be trying to buy extra outs here and push people out of the pot, and also a free card play is unlikely to work here.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:14 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

SSH doesn't deal with situations. on the button with a MP limper is pretty much raise or fold no matter what you're holding. blindly following simple charts that are meant for beginning players will cost you money. it's important to understand the situation you're in