Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 04:06 PM

Default 66 raises limpers from the Button

The small pocket pair saga continues.....

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Once again the small PP raise from the button with many limpers......no way they put me on the set if it comes....no problems here.

Flop: (16 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Wait until the turn to raise? I raised here to push out any diamond draws that might take the pot from my set.

Turn: (12 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Another easy raise here? Keep charging worse hands. I have no reason to think anyone is ahead here - much less that they have me read for 66. Mabye they see me as having an overpair or AK whiff?

River: (20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

Check this river? It certainly looks like someone was chasing the diamonds all the way to the river. Two cold calls of 2 bets on the turn.....Value bet or looking to get check raised?

Final Pot: 20 BB
Old 03-08-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: 66 raises limpers from the Button

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (16 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Wait until the turn to raise? I raised here to push out any diamond draws that might take the pot from my set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rethink your strategy here dude.

Your raise is 100% correct - but it's not because you are pushing out diamond draws - it's because you have a very strong hand right now. One that, even the times a flush does get there, you will have opportunities to outdraw them.

Waiting to the turn raise would be foolhardy because you are passing up bets on hands that are willing to give you money now.

You'll collect those bets now, where as if a blank falls on the turn, they will probably only check to you, and you'd loose a chance to raise if they are playing a flush draw.

Get your money in on the flop.

edit-- and the river too...wtf?

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2005, 04:15 PM

flop: I'm not sure but let me go over my thinking. With a raise 1) you won't push anyone out except runner draws. 2) the pot is big enough to warrant pushing out runner draws.
With a call and raise on the turn 1) you kill the odds for gutshots but not for flush draws. 2) if UTG2 is betting a 9, he might get scared if an overcard comes and check.

I can't think of any other arguments either way. I vote for raising the flop.

River: I'd bet due to the number of players. I'd say with 3 other players you need to be right about a quarter of the time, maybe 30%.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:16 PM

don't know about the pf raise, but I like everything else. Definately check the river, you don't want to risk a likely check raise.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Waiting to the turn raise would be foolhardy because you are passing up bets on hands that are willing to give you money now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point. Kids who are drawing dead will often call a single big bet with 2 over cards, but certainly won't call 2 bb on the turn with the same thing. Ofcourse if they have a diamond, they won't be drawing dead ...but they still have the odds to call 1 bb, while they may have odds to call 1 sb.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, don't try and protect sets. Flush draws already have the odds to continue. I'm not saying to raise or call the flop. I'm saying your reasoning is suspect.

Turn is fine. River is fine.

Krishan
Old 03-08-2005, 04:24 PM

I would bet the river for value.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:24 PM

I would still bet the river.. especially if u r an aggresive player who will raise w/ the nut flush draw and ur opps know that.. if they have a small flush they checked most likely b/c they put u on a bigger flush draw...if they do have a flush u lose 1 bet if they cannot beat trips and call u gain 3 bets... ok just saw there was a str8 draw there too.. but u still have 2 take everyone checking to u as a sign of weakness and make them pay 4 it
Old 03-08-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet the river for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two players called 2 cold on 2 streets. This is a bad river bet. (Marginal at best)

Krishan
Old 03-08-2005, 04:55 PM

Default PFR?!

[ QUOTE ]
Once again the small PP raise from the button with many limpers......no way they put me on the set if it comes....no problems here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're doing this 1 of of 100 times (no math involved here) that might be fine. If you're making this play with any consistency, I think you're going to be in trouble. There's not a good reason to be raising a small pair with a 12% chance to get trips...there's no equity here. If you don't hit a set on the flop, your hand's over.

Not to mention the fact that most of your opponents at this level are not even trying to put you on a hand and if they did, they may have even forgotten that you raised PF.