Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 05:57 AM

Default 1/2 6-max... so passive...still worth learning?

I feel like the passivity of the 1/2 6-max game is allowing me to win pots i would normally probably fold for. Example: in 5/10 6-max you will get checkraised by middle pair on the turn, or perhaps by any pocket pair on a paired board, then bet into on the river. At 1/2 it's basically check-call for these guys and I can take the showdown for free if I suspect they might have it. The 1/2 6-max is basically just an experiment in increasing my vpip, but I don't think I am getting as much out of the postflop play as I want. Do you know what I mean at all? Any thoughts or recommendations?
Old 03-07-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Re: 1/2 6-max... so passive...still worth learning?

I always try my new strategys at $1/$2, but as the game play is so different it does make it more difficult to ascertain whether it will work at higher levels where post flop is played differently.

I think raising to knock players out doesnt work so well cause they just call u down with anything, even gutshots, more often.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:44 AM

Trying any strategy at $1/$2 hoping it will apply to higher limits is an exercise in futility. To do this you are either playing scared in your normal limit or don't understand your opponents. Don't make wholesale changes to your game, make small adjustments and tweaks, that way you have a chance of seeing their effects in isolation and can make rational judgements on their efficacy.

If you have an idea, you also need to know when it is applicable, used wisely in the game you normally play, you will be able to assess its impact.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:46 AM

If a strategy dont work at $1/$2 then it wont work at any level, so I am trying a whole new stratgy at these lower limits,,,,although I hate $1/$2 party.

however this is not the norm as most people are tweaking there games,,,so i recommend playing at another site that has $2/$4, or $3/$6 as the jump to $5/$10 is to large, build up your bankroll and importantly your confidence gradually.

I personally find a huge difference when I moved uo from $1/$2 to $2/$4 6 max , especially on the crptologic sites, the play was closer to $5/$10 6 max on party
Old 03-07-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If a strategy dont work at $1/$2 then it wont work at any level

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I personally find a huge difference when I moved uo from $1/$2 to $2/$4 6 max

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you could spend 5 minutes thinking about what you are going to say, rather than just typing in random thoughts. Your capacity for churning out inconsistent and self-contradictory lines knows no bounds, it seems.

And as for the first line, it is utterly incorrect. So incorrect I struggle to find an adjective sufficient to condemn it to the dustbin with sufficient force, save to say, it is of unbelievable naivety. Why are you making posts like this when clearly you have no idea what you are saying?

[ QUOTE ]
build up your bankroll and importantly your confidence gradually.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say (as has been said elsewhere), bankroll builds faster than skill. If you have an ego as big as some (mentioning no names [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]), where you actually have no sound understanding of game theory, yet still believe you are ultimately correct, you will inevitably hate $1/$2 as it will never reward your ego by wining huge pots.

More important than bankroll is skill, this is what allows you to win. Confidence helps, but confidence without skill is raft made of cardboard. Bankroll has been much discussed and is a requirement, search the archives for information on this, if you need it. Moving up because your bankroll is sufficient does not mean you will be able to handle the games. Move up when you are confident you can beat the games, which kinda means observing them a bit first. Patience is an important part of the game, or more accurately, controlled impatience.

You will certainly find you can get away with a lot of play at $1/$2 that you cannot at higher limits, and there are some plays that are only applicable to higher limits that won't work at $1/$2. Every time to move up a limit or move site there will be new things to learn and a need to adjust your strategy. In the process you will develop a strong all-round and adaptive game, and put yourself in position to smoothly move up to the next level.

I agree with your observation, but I think the best advice would be to play at least 20-40K at each level before moving up, to ensure you leave with more game than when you started.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:36 AM

I still stick by the fact that "if you cant win at $1/$2 then you cant win at any level",

So whats your point moron (Naphand)?

Moving up limits, I won more by good play, because less players were playing for pure luck, they were actually playing thinking poker.

Sometimes $1/$2 with players playing any 2 cards, and them not knowing what to raise etc you have no idea what your up against. So plays that work at higher limits dont work at $1/$2, cause players simply call, sometimes out of curiosity, whereas at higher limits they would have folded.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 1/2 6-max is basically just an experiment in increasing my vpip, but I don't think I am getting as much out of the postflop play as I want. Do you know what I mean at all? Any thoughts or recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to seek out some of the LAGs there. There should be enough for you to find a couple. Try to work on your postflop skills against them.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moving up limits, I won more by good play, because less players were playing for pure luck, they were actually playing thinking poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I always seek out the best opponents. Because you can win a lot more from them than you can from clueless noobs.

/hope your sarcasm detector is on
Old 03-07-2005, 12:45 PM

If there are 5 clueless noobs at a table then you may still end up a winner, but you;ll get a much higher % of bad beats.

Thats why $1/$2 full ring games are a total lottery, well they were on the crpto sites i played on.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If there are 5 clueless noobs at a table then you may still end up a winner, but you;ll get a much higher % of bad beats.

Thats why $1/$2 full ring games are a total lottery, well they were on the crpto sites i played on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad beats don't matter. If you're getting bad beat, you're probably in a good game.

You should be able to adjust to these sort of players. They're the most profitable kind to play against.