Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Was this a bad fold? (On the flop after flopping trip Aces)

MP3 is unknown, SB is straight forward regular MTing TAG. At the time, I thought one of them probably had the Ace and I didn't want to continue in what was a relatively small pot.

Also the TAG's action confused me. He would 3 bet PF w/a big pair or big Ace. So I would only think he would make this move with an a medium Axs, flush draw(QKcl also makes sense) or JKs. If he made this move with a small pocket pair, more power to him.

Thanks

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero folds
Old 03-06-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Was this a bad fold? (On the flop after flopping trip Aces)

You have hidden outs vs another ace and outs vs straight or flush. You are way ahead of any J or PP. Reraise.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:26 PM

I don't know exactly what I would do here, but I'm certain that I'm not folding.

MP3 open raised preflop and will probably autobet when checked to on the flop. No way we can give him credit for an ace just yet.

A TAG isn't going to be calling from the SB with many hands in this spot. He might call with a really small pair, but I'm guessing he would try to fight HU with something like 77. It makes little sense that he would just call with something like A8 (a hand that he would wan't to get HU as well). Unless the SB is trapping you preflop, I think you are going to be good here much too often to fold. Also given the outs to a chop should you be kicked right now, this is a really bad fold.

Brad
Old 03-06-2005, 09:31 PM

One of these players could easily be on a flush draw with the other having a jack... the original post about the preflop raiser auto betting- he could easily have a pp based on his position in raising preflop. There is a chance you are dominated, but I think that you come right out and bet on the flop.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:42 PM

The sb's check-raise on the flop seems suspicious to me, as if he's bluffing/semibluffing. Wouldn't most wait to raise turn w/big ace here? Maybe I'm wrong, as he could be raising to get rid of any gutshot. As you said, he usually 3-bets preflop w/big ace, so my guess is bluff w/small or med pp or flush draw (trying to get MP3 to muck bigger PP?).

That being said, you don't know what MP3 will do (fold/call/reraise). I think I call here and lead out turn. If you're raised here you'll have another decision.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have... outs vs straight or flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are none possible.

I think the SB is making an information type raise here.

If you look at the aces that he could have:

AK - TAGs 3-bet preflop
AQ - Some might cold call. Most 3-bet or fold.
AJ - Is he really going to play that hand that strongly?
AT - See AQ

A9s-A2s: I'm not a fan of semi-cold calling OOP against one (non-steal) raiser here. Most TAGs aren't.

I think he has a J, and is trying to find out about the initial raisers hand.

He also could have flopped a flush draw.

I vote for 3-betting.