Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Paul Phillips v. Phil Hellmuth

After all of the smack that Phillips has talked about Hellmuth, I think it would be really hilarious if Phillips loses.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Paul Phillips v. Phil Hellmuth

i think paul phillips will agree entirely that a short term outcome based on a majority of luck does not prove anything. its quite clear that as poker players, we are dedicated to long term EV, so whether PP loses to PH or not in this one session does not change my opinion of either player in the slightest. yes, i am in the camp that says PP is better than PH, but that is only because i believe that PH is quite bad. i respect PP's play, but not quite as much as he respects himself.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:05 AM

Actually, Paul Phillips believes himself to be a horrible heads up player, so I'm sure he expects to lose, even against Hellmuth. Don't know how he's going to explain winning the first round though.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think paul phillips will agree entirely that a short term outcome based on a majority of luck does not prove anything. its quite clear that as poker players, we are dedicated to long term EV, so whether PP loses to PH or not in this one session does not change my opinion of either player in the slightest. yes, i am in the camp that says PP is better than PH, but that is only because i believe that PH is quite bad. i respect PP's play, but not quite as much as he respects himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

i completely agree with you that the results would prove nothing (see my post in the ivey v. sklansky thread). I just think it would be funny if phillips loses.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:10 AM

A bad player with 9 bracelets?

Jesus, who are these people?
Old 03-06-2005, 04:17 AM

It's the feature table, too, so this match-up should get substantial TV time.

Paul Phillips is also looking a lot like a homeless guy. Someone give this man a bar of soap!
Old 03-06-2005, 05:20 AM

Hellmuth 'quite bad'. lmao. If there was ever a case of an opinion being flat out WRONG, this is it.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:43 AM

Hellmuth wins:

Short-stacked, Paul Phillips goes all in with A-8, and Phil Hellmuth calls with J-5, asking for a little "Motown" on the flop. The flop comes J-9-8, giving both players a pair, but putting Hellmuth in the lead. The last two cards come 6-K, and Paul Phillips is eliminated. Phil Hellmuth advances to Round 3, where he will face Huck Seed. (Paul Phillips says he will loan Huck Seed his Phil Hellmuth jersey if he'd like to wear it.)
Old 03-06-2005, 06:08 AM

I would have loved to see this entire match. With the fake smiles...underlying hatred.....I would have paid for a bad beat on phil...that would have been a rant to end all rants.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:33 AM

If Phil wins another 9 bracelets he will still be considered "rather bad" of a player to the majority of the 2+2 posters.
Everybbody is entitled to their opinion tho, but I must admit Im somewhat curious to where all this helmuth hate come from.