Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Raise broadway on river?

Interpoker, 2/4 6 handed.

Hero is on the button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

All players are very loose (>50% VPIP). Cutoff will check-call any two cards to the river in hopes of hitting, but then usually fold when he misses. I haven't seen him bet without hitting something. The others are slightly more willing to let go of their hands.

Folded to cutoff who limps. Hero limps. SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB checks, BB bets, cutoff calls, Hero raises for the free turn card, both call.

Turn: [K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Checked around.

River: [K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Checked to cutoff who bets. What is hero's plan here with the made straight, but the third flush card out, an obvious-playing guy betting and two people still to act?
Old 03-05-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Raise broadway on river?

1. I wouldn't play QJo against 3 opponents
2. If you think a 4-flush is out the flop raise is not good as you only have a gutshot
3. I'd call the river. I don't think a pair of ace/two pairs would cold call 2 bets cold in the blinds.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. I wouldn't play QJo against 3 opponents

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm, I usually will play this from the button against passive, unimaginitive players, especially those who will pay me off if I make a hand. Anyone else play it too?

[ QUOTE ]

2. If you think a 4-flush is out the flop raise is not good as you only have a gutshot

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, obviously there is a chance the four-flush is out. All the other hands are essentially random, given the players. So do you muck on the flop since the pot is not very big?

[ QUOTE ]

3. I'd call the river. I don't think a pair of ace/two pairs would cold call 2 bets cold in the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough (that's what I did). What is your plan if one of the blinds check-raises?
Old 03-05-2005, 08:19 PM

Hero raises. CO's range of hands to bet is quite wide.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero raises. CO's range of hands to bet is quite wide.

[/ QUOTE ]
If it were heads-up with the CO I would definitely raise. My concern here was the two blinds who might be going for the check-raise. Do you think that's unlikely enough? What's the plan if a blind does check-raise?
Old 03-06-2005, 01:44 AM

With only the CO limping this is an easy raise from the button for me preflop.

I don't love the free card play here just because I think your often not going to get it on this board. If your opponents are very passive however (as they seem to be in this case) its probably fine.

I think if you raise this river you get only one call and a possible 3-bet which it sounds like from your description of CO would very strongly indicate a flush. Just calling gives you a chance for 2 overcalls. In essence if you can get just one call from the blinds youve achieved the same value.

So with a passive player betting and 2 to act behind you I tend towards flat calling here.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With only the CO limping this is an easy raise from the button for me preflop.

I don't love the free card play here just because I think your often not going to get it on this board. If your opponents are very passive however (as they seem to be in this case) its probably fine.

I think if you raise this river you get only one call and a possible 3-bet which it sounds like from your description of CO would very strongly indicate a flush. Just calling gives you a chance for 2 overcalls. In essence if you can get just one call from the blinds youve achieved the same value.

So with a passive player betting and 2 to act behind you I tend towards flat calling here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would often raise this if I thought it might give me some chance to pick up the pot later or knock out stuff like Ax/Kx, which was definitely not the case with this group. I guess the reality is that QJ is probably best against what essentially amounts to 3 completely random hands. For that reason alone I guess I should raise.

As for the free card, I thought there was a good chance it would work, and that I was going to get several callers. Given the 2 flush, however, maybe this was a bad idea --especially since I could hit but be scared to be too aggressive, as in this case.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:01 AM

I raise. At interpoker 2-4, a pair of aces or better will call 2bets cold. You are very likely best.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:56 PM

FWIW, I called, the blinds folded and the cutoff showed AT for two pair.