Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 11:26 PM

Default 2/5 sb versus 1/2 sb

I'm switching over to the 6max tables after playing mostly sit-n-gos. One thing that throws me a bit, is what cards I would have played before in the small blind, that I shouldn't play now.

At the earliest rounds of the sng's, the small blind is 2/3 the bb. There is not much at all that I won't call for that 5 chips when it hasn't been raised. I'm getting at least 5:1 odds, and better than that with each limper.

The 2/5 small blind of the (new?) ring game structure, throws me a bit. What would you not limp with for those 7:3 odds, that you would for normal 3:1 sb odds. Or is this question just avoided completely by not limping in?
Old 03-05-2005, 03:32 AM

Default Re: 2/5 sb versus 1/2 sb

IMO, the bigger consideration, rather than what kind of odds you are getting to play any given hand, is the terrible position you are going to have on each subsequent betting round. The new structure (100 big blinds) has made position far more important.

I think the short answer is that a variety of hands (particularly suited hands) are worth playing in that situation. Just understand that your position is going to be the worst possible on the crticial betting rounds. Don't expect to get into good situations very often from that position, regardless of the type of holding you plan to draw to.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:38 AM

These blind structure questions are much more applicable to limit games where a good win rate is 3BB/100 and where the most you can win or lose on a hand is a few BBs. In NL, I don't think it makes nearly as much difference. I think that position (SB=worst) is much more important than the blind structure, for sure. So I don't change my SB starting hand selection very much at all from the old structure. And yes, if there are a lot of limpers in a full ring game, the implied odds are great, so I will complete lots of garbage hands. In 6m, less so, both because there are never THAT many limpers, and also because when there are a bunch of limpers, I expect the BB to raise to try to take the pot down preflop, so you often don't get to see the flop anyways.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:14 AM

Very useful, Thank you both!