Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2002, 02:07 AM

Default Deuces on the Button / 4-8

I was looking over some notes from a 4-8 game at the Tropicana in AC last winter and found a hand I enjoyed recalling, and which prompted a question.

I'm folded to on the button and hold the black 2's. This is a no-brainer. I raise. I probably have the best hand, and my hand plays much better headsup. So if I can get one or both to fold, I like it. The small blind folds and the big blind raises. I'm not a Trop regular (long drive) and I don't know my opponent except as I've seen him play in the last half hour. He seems to play a half-step loose pre flop, but seems maybe to play better post flop. He would re-raise with any pocket pairs and any two broadway cards and a number of suited combinations. After all, my bet sounds like the steal attempt it is.

Flop is 3s5s7s. It cannot have touched his hand -- unless he has spades -- and if not my 2's are better than before, since he has less chance to pair up. He checks, I bet, he calls. So far, so good... maybe. Besides, I have a flush draw (he said, ironically).

Turn is 10c (3s5s7s). I figure it's against the odds that this card helped him. And if I'm wrong, he's sure to let me know. He checks, I bet, he calls. I feel better about this.

River is As (3s5s7s10c). I have a flush with my 2s. My opponent bets. I think about it, but decide that it's an easy call (there are lots of hands he would play this way that don't have spades in them BECAUSE there are lots of hands I'd play this way that don't have spades in them. I think this makes sense). So question one is: would any of you fold or raise here? (If you would, how high a spade would you want to call or raise?).

Please forgive my posting the results in this same post, but it's really question two that interests me. RESULTS: he had AdKd, and bet when his pair finally came. The more I thought about his bet, the better I liked it. Not every hand I'd play had spades in it, so there was a chance of winning outright. And he had some shot at causing me to fold a low spade. I didn't, but I sure thought about it. Often winning poker seems to consist of recognizing and exploiting the value of adding small shots to make one good chance. Anyway, question two: is the Button's play a sensible one? (If you think so, he had a pair of aces. Would you make the same bet with less than aces -- the nuts pair?
Old 09-19-2002, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Deuces on the Button / 4-8

You played it perfectly. I hope you were going to bet the river if checked to. Also, his river bet is excellent.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:07 PM

Clarkmeister:
Thanks. It's fun to recall a hand that I think I played well, though the main point was to recall my opponents's river bet. I hope I recall it when the situation arises.
Ginogino
Old 09-19-2002, 08:15 PM

Betting into 4 flushed boards is one of the biggest money makers in poker, IMO.

GL.