Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Ten Commandments and the Supreme Court

I think this has been discussed her before but I am not sure...

Does anyone else here find the posting of the ten commandments or other religious symbols in courthouses appalling?

For the life of me I can't understand how someone would support this. For the those who support such a position would you be comfortable being judged in a court where there were religious symbols displayed from a faith that varied greatly from your own?
Old 03-03-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Ten Commandments and the Supreme Court

"Does anyone else here find the posting of the ten commandments or other religious symbols in courthouses appalling?"

Me. Then again, I find "In God We Trust" on our coins appalling. But the last sentence of your post shows why the Ten Commandments in court issue is much more important.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:23 PM

I don't find it apalling, just a little scary. Now, the first time that my judge says, "Before I sentence you, I'd like to reference Psalms 49" I'm going to be apalled.

Cody
Old 03-03-2005, 03:26 PM

I find both of your oppositions to these things appalling. There is not anything wrong with these things being displayed. There is a basis for them to be displayed. The fact that are whole system of government and law is based on these ideals and priciples means that they are indeed important.

[ QUOTE ]

For the life of me I can't understand how someone would support this. For the those who support such a position would you be comfortable being judged in a court where there were religious symbols displayed from a faith that varied greatly from your own?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't suprise me that you can't see why others would support it. You clearly have no concept of history, government, law, or tradition if you cannot see why. I don't think its a problem if I don't committ a crime. I think that because God and the Ten Commandments are so important to our nation and our founding I think its only right that there be some representation of them in the courts and other government buildings. I DO NOT, on the other hand, think there should be any establishment of religion by Congress.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't find it apalling, just a little scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scary how? Most people in the US believe in God.

[ QUOTE ]
Now, the first time that my judge says, "Before I sentence you, I'd like to reference Psalms 49" I'm going to be apalled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that would be a big deal as long as the trial and sentencing were done by the law.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:26 PM

"Scary how? Most people in the US believe in God."

Well, I'm an athiest, so if I see a symbol of a certain religion in a place that is supposed to be impartial, I'm a little worried as to the fairness of my trial.

"I don't think that would be a big deal as long as the trial and sentencing were done by the law."

I think it should be pretty obvious that I was implying that the judge would take sentencing guidelines from the Bible. If he doens't, well then yes, it would be fine.

Cody
Old 03-03-2005, 04:26 PM

I didn't say that the ideals and principles in the ten commandments weren't important. Just that they have no place in our government's courts of law. That the framers thought the ten commandments were important and that they were religious has no bearing on the issue. That was 1789; it's now 2005. They also owned slaves in 1789. Our views of what is right and wrong, proper and improper, have changed. One can argue that slavery was much more important to the framers than the ten commandments, inasmuch as it was included in the Constitution. The fact that is was important to them doesn't mean it should be a part of our court system. With the ten commandments in a courthosue, we would have something from the Bible of the Christians and Jews in our courts. The courts are supposed to apply equal justice to all citizens, including even those who are not Christians or Jews.

"I don't think its a problem if I don't committ a crime."

-It's not just people who commit crimes who go into a courtroom.

"You clearly have no concept of history, government, law, or tradition if you cannot see why"

-While Utah and I have often disagreed on policy issues, and while he needs no defense from me, I can assure you he has an extensive knowledge of, and his given substantial thought to, American history, government, law and tradition.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm an athiest, so if I see a symbol of a certain religion in a place that is supposed to be impartial, I'm a little worried as to the fairness of my trial.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why worry? God is the basis of law in the US. The law says you are to be given a fair trial. The court room is impartial, or at least it doesnt really care if you are an atheists.

[ QUOTE ]
I think it should be pretty obvious that I was implying that the judge would take sentencing guidelines from the Bible. If he doens't, well then yes, it would be fine.[ QUOTE ]

The judge can base his sentencing guidlines on whatever he wants. Of course, he has to follow the law on the type of sentence he hands out. Understand that most crimes have strict rules upon what sentence can be handed down due to a convition. Thus, even if he does go to the Bible for the sentence, hes still doing it through the law. I have no problem with that.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:53 PM

"God is the basis of law in the US."

Please explain.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else here find the posting of the ten commandments or other religious symbols in courthouses appalling?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Scary - again, No.
Expected - Yes.

Many of these monuments are a hold over from promotional activities by Ceil B. DeMille for the movie 'The Ten Commendments', one of the best bombastic comedies of all time by the way.

See the important following link: Debra Paget

And this one also, can you say boob-o-lious Rack'em up!

There are many formidable things wrong with the Politics Forum, but the top one is the twisted sense of priorities so predominately display by so many posters.

Let's all try to keep our eyes on what is truly important.

-Zeno