Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Why did I bet the river?

A while back I'm in a 1-2 blind no limit home game and stacks are 200-500, but I have the table covered with 800 and I'm running good and perceived as solid. It looks multiway cheap and I limp with 22. A weak, predictable player on my left makes a standard raise to 12, there are several callers and I close the action. I remember the pot being about 70. The flop is 9 high rainbow and it's checked to the PFR who bets 30 and everyone folds back to me. I thought he had underbet the pot with his AK and that my pair might be good so I called. The turn is another low card. I checked and he bet 30 again with his AK and I called. The river is a queen, I bet 80 and he folded.

Why did I bet the river?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Why did I bet the river?

1) To block him from bluffing AQ.

2) To leave him wondering if you had anything at all.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:40 PM

would a predictable opponent bluff AK in a multiway pot?

nh, anyways.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
would a predictable opponent bluff AK in a multiway pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fot this guy, yes... predictably. But I was pretty sure of it after he bet the turn. At the river he has 300 left. I've been thinking about this river bet and why I bet 80 into this guy... it's not for value, because a lesser bet may have induced him to call with AK and would have been fine. It's not a bluff because I have a better hand than him. But if I bet small for value, I look weak and he may come over the top and I may have to fold barring another read. If I check to induce a bluff (typical limit play), he could bet me out of the pot. I think the only reason I bet was to prevent from being bluffed by a big bet from AK. I can clearly fold to a raise, but I don't mind a call unless I misread and he has AQ.

Is this thinking correct? Am I way off? Thoughts?