Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 02:36 AM

Default Party $100 - AKo hand

I've only played about 60 hands with villian and he seems to be a bit loose but above average for this table (vp$ip: 30%, pfr: 8%) However, the hand immediately before this one I doubled up with AA against his JJ which he basically called me down with on a T high board until I was all-in on the turn.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed) converter

SB ($70.4)
BB ($99.15)
UTG ($108.2)
UTG+1 ($56.5)
UTG+2 ($128.3)
MP1 ($245.9)
MP2 ($98)
MP3 ($230)
CO ($254.2)
Hero ($191)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $3, MP2 calls $3, CO calls $3.

Flop: ($17.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, UTG folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $50</font>, Hero ???

-Jeff
Old 03-03-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Party $100 - AKo hand

why'd you overbet the flop?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:56 AM

i would call, is it possible he would play pckt 5's to a raise??
I think if he had kk, aa he'd reraised preflop...so a call or a raise is in order-not sure which.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:02 AM

Preflop raise is too small. Flop bet is too big.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:05 AM

how is the preflop too small?? 4x bb+1 per limp=4$
Old 03-03-2005, 03:06 AM

likelyhood of having 5s is rare, looks like an obvious call, id put him on a5, or semi-bluffing with qj/q10 diomands, but then again what do i know im a newb.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how is the preflop too small?? 4x bb+1 per limp=4$

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't that be $7?
Old 03-03-2005, 03:20 AM

hmmm...

Firstly preflop you should raise more. Pot it (that would be making it 6 or 7 to go) instead of underbetting. You really don't want to play with three limpers and maybe the blinds so make a bigger raise to increase the chance of getting it heads up.

From here on I'm just sort of rambling with my thoughts:
On the flop you should have bet less than the pot. While you are scared of the potential flush draw you would rather not scare off hands like AQ or AJ that he could have (remember CO had great odds preflop with the two callers so playing these hands is reasonable). I would put in just under, maybe 13 or 14.

What does his raise mean? Well, he could simply think you are trying to buy the pot (why would you overbet with a big hand here?), he could be semibluffing a flush draw (he is out of position so it's a bit less likely that he would do this unless he's tricky), he could be value raising with a set or two pair. You only need to worry about one of those obviously. Given your info it seems he played an overpair passively.

That would make me lean toward thinking that he thinks he has a hand. That would be either two pair (olé), a pair and flush draw (this would mean he paired his 5 which isn't likely given that he also couldn't have the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] nor K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) or a set which is obviously bad news. It seems unlikely that he has a set of kings or aces both because of the way he played the hand and that he would have to have both of the remaining cards in the deck. So he pretty much has a set of fives, two diamonds, two pair, AQ, AJ, or a bluffing hand.

He's raising a fifth of your stack. That's a huge chunk. It's pretty much decision time. You can't really raise without committing yourself. My guess is that you are ahead, but having said that I wouldn't feel completely comfortable with it either. I say close your eyes and move the slider to the right and click raise. An alternative would be to simply call this with the plan to raise all in on the turn. That's more likely to double you up if he has a weaker two pair or is overplaying top pair but you won't be quite as happy if a diamond comes off because he will be less likely to pay you off if he doesn't have diamonds and it's obviously bad news if his raise was a semibluff.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is it possible he would play pckt 5's to a raise??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, without a doubt.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:45 AM

4x bb +1bb is what i meant-apparently he should have raised more anyways....