Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Do you get nervous everytime you play?

Posted this in the other forum by mistake. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

For me it is the fact each game is a competiton, a tournament. I can play ring games for hours and not feel anything. SnGs are different though. Everytime I load one up I get this nervous feeling in my stomach and it continues for the rest of the game. The feeling is the same now as in my first game. Does this every go away?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Do you get nervous everytime you play?

I dont know... I've played a run of 125 $11 sng's so far, and when I'm 4-tabling, I always have the slight nervous feeling throughout my body when I'm concentrating on all 4 tables and listening to some Techno music at the same time. It lasts for about 20 minutes after I'm done playing SNGs.

I think of it as purging my system with temporary high blood pressure haha
Old 03-03-2005, 01:20 AM

I got over that after about the first 1k games.

I do remember having adrenalines rushes before that, though.

eastbay
Old 03-03-2005, 01:52 AM

I rarely get nervous playing any form of online poker anymore. I will admit to a few butterflies the few times I have ventured into a Step 5 - buying in directly.

If you do what I do - play 4 tables and start new SNGs as soon as you finish one - the sense of them being individual tournaments fades away. It's more like a ring game, I've just always got 4 games running.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do what I do - play 4 tables and start new SNGs as soon as you finish one - the sense of them being individual tournaments fades away. It's more like a ring game, I've just always got 4 games running.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many do you average an hour using this approach?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can play ring games for hours and not feel anything. SnGs are different though. Everytime I load one up I get this nervous feeling in my stomach and it continues for the rest of the game. The feeling is the same now as in my first game. Does this every go away?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh -- I'm glad you posted this. I thought I was the only one that felt that way.

After about 3 or 4 (when I've gotten at least as far as the bubble), I have to take a break -- I almost feel like I've been playing a FPS. I have noticed that I'm feeling it a lot less now than I did for the first 100. Maybe I'll be calmer after 1000 as well.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:58 AM

I never get nervous unless a significant portion of my bankroll is on the line (which it never is in SNGs). However, when I occasionally take a shot at big games I do get adrenaline rushes which make be play better, as I take every factor into account and am able to make monster reads and plays. I don't think that kind of thing is healthy in the long run though, and I much prefer low-risk SNG games where I can play like a robot and make a lot of relatively risk-free money.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:42 AM

I don't know. That's one of the things my SNG program will be able to tell me if I ever write it.

My guess is around 6.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How many do you average an hour using this approach?

[/ QUOTE ] I always assumed this is the way ereryone did it.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:40 AM

That's funny, I'm just the opposite. SnGs rarely faze me, but when I play cash games I get nervous. I have more experience with SnGs at this point than I do with cash games, though, so maybe that's why.