Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Who folds QQ pre-flop here

I'm sure this starting hand has been discussed ad-nauseum on this board but I wonder if I could get some advice on my play here.

I was UTG+1 with QQ in Party $25NL (with new blind structure last night), UTG folds, I raise to $2, MP1 calls, MP2 raises to $3.75, CO raises to $10, folded to me. This was my 5th or 6th hand at the table, CO had raised large a few hands ago and showed down AA.

I folded. It was $8 to me with about $18 in the pot. Was this a mistake? (everyone else folded so I have no idea what he had)

What about the original raise, it was 8x BB but I was in bad position and feel like if I raise to $1, it doesn't do a lot of good.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Who folds QQ pre-flop here

Stack-sizes?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:44 PM

Thank you.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:51 PM

Sorry...by memory, I had around $24 most others at the table had around the $25 buy-in but CO had a pretty large stack, around $85 to $90 at the time.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:54 PM

I probably fold here. You can't call because re-raiser behind you will likely push. And you can't push because you will get two callers and QQ just isn't that strong in this spot.

-T
Old 03-02-2005, 07:58 PM

i had the same thing, and i folded.

i'm UTG with QQ, raise to 3, foled to MP2 raises to 7, foleded to button, raises to 15, back to me, i fold. call it what you want, but i smell a hand (or two) that can beat mine. MP2 reraises all in (for about 10 more) and Button calls. button shows AA, and MP2 shows KK, and a Queen flops. very funny party poker, but i wasn't in the hand, i folded. therefore, there was no reason that a queen needed to flop. but whatever...i can usually sense when there's a hand out there bigger than mine.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably fold here. You can't call because re-raiser behind you will likely push. And you can't push because you will get two callers and QQ just isn't that strong in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. This should be a fold. Unless I have enough of a read on opponents that I think one is pushing JJ or TT and the other has AK or AQ... and that's a tough read to make.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can't push because you will get two callers and QQ just isn't that strong in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this before, and I don't understand it... I do understand that in this situation its very likely you will be facing AA or KK. Maybe that's all you mean by QQ not being strong in this spot.

But let's assume you are going to push. Obviously AA is calling, would you not want a 3rd caller in there with you? Basically you already need to hit a queen to win, so doesn't the extra $$ from the KK guy help you?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the advice. I was pretty sure I was in trouble since he came over the top of three players already in who obviously liked their hands. My only inkling to call was because he showed AA a few hands earlier with a $10 raise pre flop and maybe he was using this to his advantage when he really didn't have a super strong hand. As it turns out he raised pre flop a few times the next orbit but he was catching cards because he showed own AK and QQ the times he had to show.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:47 PM

The object of the game is to get your money in when you are most likely to be ahead. Putting all your money in knowing your a huge dog is not smart poker. JMO