Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Adam\'s Weak Tight Hand of The Day

Things haven't been running too well for a while now, and I'm beginning to see monsters everywhere, however, sometimes my opponents probably might have monsters.

Anyway, UB $2/4 NL

I am dealt AK [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG. I limp (I have all relevant people covered).

4 other limpers, SB completes, 7 to the flop.

Pot: 28ish

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to the CO (~400). He bets 4. Button calls. Folded to me. I reraise to 30. MP1 (~185) calls. CO calls, Buttons folds.

Pot: 118ish
Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I really didn't know what to do here, but didn't like the spot I was in. Check/folding seemed plausible, but way too weak.

I bet out 40, MP1 raises to 80 (leaving 75 left in his stack), button folds, I call.

Pot: 278ish

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, he pushes, I fold.

Comments on all streets greatly appreciated. I'll give my thoughts later and post what he had (he showed).
Old 03-01-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Adam\'s Weak Tight Hand of The Day

I'm curious to know...did you think of checking the turn in hopes of seeing the river cheaply or did that seem too weak for you?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:17 PM

really ugly. on the flop, what's your plan for the turn if you get called? you have a million outs but 6 of them still leave you with an uncomfortable decision, and the fact you are out of position means you are going to have a hard time playing a small pot if you pair up. with smaller stack of course you'd like to be allin, but that isn't going to happen with 400+ in a 34 dollar pot.

the turn is weird as well, it's an easy fold or push. you have TPTK and a million outs if behind, and your opponent might not even be committed.

just out of curiousity, how do you interpret a minraise in this situation? that's one thing I've never gotten comfortable with is how to interpret minraises. it this situation it seems like a strong move as opponent is clearly pot committed, but if he was a donk I would just put him allin. in fact, I move in every single time here.

--turnipmonster
Old 03-01-2005, 01:56 PM

On the flop, I figure that if I bet out and get called, I have no idea where I am at. By check raising, I got to see all the action first. When I checkraised and called in 2 spots, I put MP1 on a drawing hand and the CO on a pair. The CO was pretty awful.

My plan of attack for the turn was to pot bet or possibly even push any card that wasn't an ace, eight or club. I did consider checking the turn and then check/raising all in, but I felt underbetting the pot could gain me some information.

Online, I find min. raises to be (usually) one of two things, a monster or top pair. Since I had the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I figured that MP1 probably didn't hit an A. So, I strongly put him on K10, with a shot that he had QJ. I figured getting around 6:1 on my money, I could call 20.

I didn't improve on the river and I folded.

That was my logic, it just doesn't seem sound.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
really ugly. on the flop, what's your plan for the turn if you get called? you have a million outs but 6 of them still leave you with an uncomfortable decision, and the fact you are out of position means you are going to have a hard time playing a small pot if you pair up. with smaller stack of course you'd like to be allin, but that isn't going to happen with 400+ in a 34 dollar pot.

the turn is weird as well, it's an easy fold or push. you have TPTK and a million outs if behind, and your opponent might not even be committed.

just out of curiousity, how do you interpret a minraise in this situation? that's one thing I've never gotten comfortable with is how to interpret minraises. it this situation it seems like a strong move as opponent is clearly pot committed, but if he was a donk I would just put him allin. in fact, I move in every single time here.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the definition of "donk"?
Old 03-01-2005, 06:12 PM

Ok here goes, once everyone has limped pre flop you have to be careful not to get too much money in without a made hand.

I dont like the raise on the flop against 6 other players. I call the 4 and see what happens.

On the turn once you have raised the flop you have two possible lines 1) pot bet, if you are beat and raised you have outs to call, or 2) check and call or fold depending on size of opponents bet/your read etc. The 40 bet is weaker than a check. If you had not raised the flop this would be a check call any reasonable bet.

As regards the river at this point you can call the 75 as you have enough pot odds to do so. I dont like to fold because there is a chance that opponent could have weaker ace/missed flush draw etc. But you are prob beat.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:40 PM

Why are you limping in with AK suited?

Given that you limped preflop, I don't like the raise out of position on the flop. Call the cheap bet and try to get there on the cheap. When the A hits the turn, you can call a reasonable bet. On the river you still have a decision though, although it would be for a smaller amount of money.

Raising this preflop builds the pot so you can lead this flop big, or go for a huge check-raise likely to fold out the weaklings.

Are you scared of getting reraised preflop when holding AK suited UTG? Come on....
Old 03-01-2005, 09:53 PM

if you had raised preflop and gotten, say HU, you could be much more aggressive on this flop, and would probably be winning on the turn

stop limping with this hand
Old 03-02-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you had raised preflop and gotten, say HU, you could be much more aggressive on this flop, and would probably be winning on the turn

stop limping with this hand

[/ QUOTE ]

He's out of position, nothing wrong with a limp here.

I have to say, I don't mind any of your play, including the check/raise on the flop. However, I think with the massive draws you have and the small size of the pot, I'd just smooth call the flop and try to suck more people into the pot. This line would have you smooth calling all the way unless you hit the nuts, rather than trying to blast opponent out.

If you check/raise the flop you should plan to pot a non-queen turn, and I think you should get all-in after the min-raise, opponent doesn't have enough behind to worry about, and it removes the possibility of folding to weird junk.

Granted, the min-raise is bizarre here. I don't have a good sense of what it means, but you can't fold and raising can't be too much worse than calling.