Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2002, 08:55 PM

Default $20-$40 Shreveport Hand

A friend of mine asked for my opinion on this hand. He is in a loose, $20-$40 game. He is in the big blind with the Qs-6s. An early player, two middle players, the cutoff, and the button all limp in. The cutoff plays loose preflop but reasonably well once the flop comes. The button is an all-around solid player. The small blind folds. My friend gets a free play. There is $130 in the pot and six players. The flop is: Qc-7s-5s, giving my friend top pair with a flush draw. He bets. The early player calls. The two middle players fold. The cutoff and the button both call. There is $210 in the pot and four players. The turn is the 2s, giving my friend the third nut-flush. My friend bets $40. The early player folds. The cutoff raises to $80. The button makes it $120. What should my friend do?

I will post the results later.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:43 PM

Default Re: $20-$40 Shreveport Hand

Really, is this hand third best? I don't think so. But he could he be up against say, K9 of spades? Most ace combos might have raised preflop. Cap it. I think a smaller flush is out there along with a set.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:47 PM

I still like your friends hand. He led on the flop so his
opponents probably put him on a Queen. Now your friends turn bet again may in his opponents eyes represent a test
bet. The first and second bet to me are either smaller
flushes or maybe even sets. If I were the cutoff or button
and it was raised to me and I had the nut flush I would
not reraise. Why reraise and eliminate the field. With
your friends hand I am going nowhere and I need to be shown
a better hand at the showdown.

Bruce
Old 09-15-2002, 09:50 PM

My instinct says fold, but in reality I would probably call it down unless it gets raised again, or there is raising on the river.seeya
Old 09-15-2002, 11:48 PM

I call and maybe cap. The 3-bet really really smells like a smaller flush desperately trying to raise out any lone big spades. The first raise is more likely 2 pair, a set or a pair with the As. No way can you fold.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:05 AM

This hand seems pretty interesting to me. I wonder if there really is a set out there because on that flop, with the flush draw out, I imagine a raise would be in order. I'm also pretty sure that duece didn't make somebody a set, so what are your options? The poster says cutoff is loose preflop, but very good after the flop and the button is solid. What hands would these sort of players play? I think cutoff might have As7x and the button saw lots of limpers and tried to get in there with suited connectors. Since the cutoff is said to be strong post-flop, he probably won't see the river if there are two raises to him because he'll realize that most likely 4 other spades are dead, leaving only 5 that make his hand. I think the play here is to make it four bets to freeze out the cutoff and beat the smaller flush on the button. Of course, I could be way off.

Can't wait to see the results of the hand,

Gavin
Old 09-16-2002, 01:08 AM

Tough spot. They might have raised pre-flop with A-xs, but probably not with K-xs. I sure hate to call two raises with only the 3rd nut flush. No one raised on the flop, so that lowers the possibility of a set, but I suppose one could also say that it also lowers the possibility of them having a four-flush on the flop. Good thing your friend didn't ask me what he should do. I honestly don't know. I susally say that, when in doubt, raise, but not when it's possible I'm only third best and the other two players have already raised me. I'd probably fold.

Is it a 4- or 5-bet limit?
Old 09-16-2002, 01:38 AM

Your friend has the best hand and should make it four bets. I don't see any reason to believe that his flush isn't good.

Old 09-16-2002, 01:39 AM

Tough spot but IMO, not a tough problem.

Call.

You would think that the button if he had a flush draw with an overcard on the flop would raise it on the flop with his 12 outer. The cut-off probably would have as well. So, the flop evidence is not enough for you to fold.

On the turn, it sure looks like you are up against at least one other flush. Probably KsJs but it's nowhere near certain that you are beat.

I also don't think that you can reraise. It accomplishes very little. It's good if you are ahead (obviously) but you can't be very sure of that. It also will not get a guy with a singleton Ace of spades out nor will it get a set out.

Call.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:46 AM

I also don't think that you can reraise. It accomplishes very little.

It accomplishes a lot. It puts more bets into the pot when you are very likely to have the best hand.

It also will not get a guy with a singleton Ace of spades out nor will it get a set out.

Let them call a few more bets with the proper pot odds. They're big underdogs. You make your money by getting the chips into the pot while you've got the best of it. You lose money by getting scared of hands which are very unlikely to be out there.