Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 05:18 AM

Default Reraising \"Found\" Position (Long)

This is not a hand example question, but mroe of a theory question.

Lets say you are UTG+2 in a full ring game (for sake of argument, an average 2/4 NL game, everyone with around same chips) with AQo. UTG calls and UTG+1 folds. For starters, I don't consider this a raising hand in this position, but I would call this (thoughts).
Everyone folds to the SB who standard raises 3-5xBB, and all call to Hero.

Questions:
1)Is there ever any value to reraising "found" position here? If so, how much?
2)Does anything change with AQs? Other hands this might be viable for?
3)What happens with both UTG or UTG+1 calling before you on the first go-around?
4)What happens if SB calls and BB is one to raise?
5)How important is your read on the table to making this play?

My Thoughts: I haven't done a thorough analysis on all teh possible scenarios, but I do have some thoughts about this scenario. But before I get too in detail, I warn you that I feel I am a decent 1/2 NL live player or 10/20 limit, and I don't have as much expeRIence in higher limits, but this is where the good players are so thats why I post here:

First question I asked myself what might SB be raising with in this position. It is not a big enough raise to bully out UTG or hero, maybe knock out BB, but in this case he calls. My experience in this situation is I find that mid PP would be making this raise (Occasionally small PP or JTs, T9s). Callers can be a range of different hands, but suggests best starting hand posibilities would be in the same sort of range-heavy drawing hands looking for a set or monster draw. One would think that a High PP (QQ-AA) would raise bigger in SB or ReRaise in BB or UTG now that they have action.
Does anyone fear AK anywhere here?

Now, based on that analysis(everyone agreed to it so far?), is there any advantage to raising the position here? I think with a raise of 2/3 the pot, some field thinning might happen with lower pockets fearing higher. Or would this only promote big hands to Push? I see this as deceptive enough to get opponents worrying, and if they do call and Hero hits TP, tehn tehy are likely pretty good.

I guess the initial reason for this question would be to ask you guys how valuable position is, and is it ever worth a raise here with Anything other than AA-KK on a loose aggressive table with lots of pre-flop raising. Do you just thank the Poker Gods that you have Position, call, and play the flop?

I appologize for teh convoluted nature of THIs message, but any thought are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2005, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Reraising \"Found\" Position (Long)

Why do you want to put more money in? Because you have position, and because you think you can outplay them postflop? It seems to me position loses its value the more money you put in preflop, because that leaves you less leverage to outplay them postflop. I'm assuming your question is that position can somewhat compensate for a weaker hand, and that because you now have position AQo has somehow shot up in value. This would be a, uh, pot equity raise of sorts. This conflicts, though: do you want to take it down right now or do you want them to call to push your newfound pot equity edge?

But you're in a 4-way pot, how do you really think you're going to outplay 3 other opponents? Because that's where your supposed edge is coming from. With AQo, if you're up against AK, you're up against AK and you're losing. Position might be able to compensate for that if Villain is rockish, but re-raising preflop doesn't help you postflop. If anything, it leaves you less leverage to outplay him, as I said before. Plus I think you're pushing your luck here. You're opening a door (3-betting) that doesn't need to be opened, however slim that may be.

In the situation you described you might want to re-raise, but re-raising there has absolutely nothing to do with "found" position - it has more to do with the fact that you think he's pot building, that you have the best hand, and that a raise will take down the pot. In that case it doesn't matter if people are behind you, because most people aren't limp/re-raising monsters from behind two limpers.

Also, I'm a pretty tight mid-stakes player, which doesn't really lend my opinion much credence, but I'd fold AQo in your position. Out of position and dangerous hand. People may also limp hands like AKs on the button and have you in serious trouble.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:42 AM

Default Re: Reraising \"Found\" Position (Long)

That is an amazing point! I never thought of position losing value the more money there is in the pot and it makes a lot of sense. Alright, I guess that answers my original question. I guess the follow up would be what hands might find value with a reraise here? Or is this situation too obscure to really be worth it?