Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 04:05 PM

Default How do you play an overpair, and why?

I don't know how many times I've had this situation, but it must be one of the most common in poker - you raise with two big cards - say AK - and completely miss the flop.

An ep limp-caller bets out.

How do you play this, and why?

If it helps, lets say you have a weak read on the ep, showing he's loose-aggresive, and the other two players are in the blinds. There's nothing exceptional about either of them.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: How do you play an overpair, and why?

run, don't walk, to your nearest bookstore, and pick up your very own copy of Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed Miller.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:58 PM

Also you may want to change your thread title to OVERCARDS instead of OVERPAIR, as they are a lot different.

To answer your question in reference to AK specifically: AGGRESSIVELY.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:59 PM

Note: that should be overCARDS, not overpair. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Note to Ed: I was asking what you would do, not for book recommendations.

If you think it's a stupid question, please note nobody forced you to click the thread.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also you may want to change your thread title to OVERCARDS instead of OVERPAIR, as they are a lot different.

To answer your question in reference to AK specifically: AGGRESSIVELY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, over-cards. Sorry.

I take it you would raise the EP, then. Is that because you think you have the best hand, or for another reason?
Old 02-28-2005, 05:19 PM

[quote Is that because you think you have the best hand, or for another reason?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Note: that should be overCARDS, not overpair. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Note to Ed: I was asking what you would do, not for book recommendations.

If you think it's a stupid question, please note nobody forced you to click the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not that it is a stupid question; it is just that it is woefully incomplete. How coordinated is the board? How many (and what) high cards does the board have? Do we have any backdoor draws?

How about those blinds? What would they call the PFR with? Will they lay down a pair for 2-bets? Will they fold for one bet with nothing?

You call the ep aggressive. Does that mean he would bet (into the PFR) with nothing? with just a draw? with any part of the board?

I've got to go with edtost; go get SSH. It has several pages on EXACTLY THIS TOPIC.

All that said, I would raise in the situation you describe most of the time. I would do so because I have a fair chance at having the best hand (and want to protect it) and because I want to eliminate any backdoor draws (and hopefully middle/bottom pairs) on those occasions when I do not.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:24 PM

"completely miss the flop" means nothing. You'll play this differently depending on what the missed flop looks like. Are you drawing against a small pair? Are you ahead of a flush draw? If the flop come 3 hearts and you have none, you should probably fold. If it's a rainbow board you probably raise, fold out the blinds, and take the free card. Your getting about 6-1 on this play, which is just enough. You're implied odds here are crap, though. But without more info, you're not going to get any good specific advice.

Take the advice and go to the bookstore. Ed is not trying to blow you off; the chapter on overcards will give you some great info. Ed can't tell you what he would do with the crappy hand info you gave him.

Get your thread title right, read the Small Stakes Posting Guidelines at the top of the forum, give us correct information, and don't berate people who are offering help.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:26 PM

you should definitely read the book, but lets say the flop misses you completely (no flush/straigt draws and no backdoor draws). here's what i would do: if only one bets out you raise which should eliminate most of the weak draws. then if you miss the turn again you can check hoping to hit the river. raising allows you to see a free card.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It has several pages on EXACTLY THIS TOPIC.

[/ QUOTE ]

an entire section, even. and you're missing out on lots of other good stuff by not reading it.