Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2005, 01:05 PM

Default odd payout structure-advise needed-xpostedSNG

This weekend i am playing in a home tourney with a somewhat unusual payout structure and would like some advice. I also posted this in the Single table tourney section..

The tournament starts with a field of 40 ppl, but 20 play on friday and 20 play on saturday. The top 5 from each day move on to the "finals" which is on sunday. So my saturday game is like a semi-finals.

They payout of this tourney is quite different. The entry fee is $75 ( i normally play $10-20 SNG's) So there is a $3000 prize pool. However, $1000 of that prizepool is paid out in the semi's (500 per day. first-5th 200/125/100/75/25)

Then for the finals it is $2000 for the winner and that is it (although i would find it hard to believe no deal would be made). I am an outsider on this as one of my friends is the connection, but he told me the reason for this is so some1 could but into a 1500 event at the WSOP 06-okay.

U start with 1000 chips, blinds start at 10-20 at move up every 30 mins, so the structure seems pretty good to me (meaning slow)

Let's just assume for the moment that i am one of the top 5 players in this tourney out of the 40 people. Given the blind structure and the payout structure, how differently should i play than a normal SNG? For me i set my goal just to make it to the final day and not to really care if i come in first or 5th, where i think my experience would make me a small favorite (~15%)at the final table

Any advice on the strategy to play in something like this would be great.