Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Trop vs. Taj

I've been playing at the Trop in AC for most of the past year. After this weekend I think I'll go back to playing at the Taj. Here's why.
The pink chip game (7.50-15.00) at the Trop, which was their signature game, is gone. In its place is a 6-12 game. The so-called "high limit area", the back room, has been given over to no-limit games.
The 10-20 game is spread only sporadically, making the 6-12 game the biggest limit game in the room most of the time. That's it. Nothing higher than 10-20 is ever spread except for the stud games.
I've continued to play at the Trop because I really like the people who work there. Most of them know me by name and I'm treated very well there. But those are just not good enough reasons for me to continue playing there.
Saturday night I went over to Taj and was seated in a 10-20 game in less than 10 minutes. To say it was soft would be an understatement. One other decent player at the table and the rest were clueless. I bought in for a rack and left with two after 2 1/2 hours of play.
FWIW, I also kept looking over at a 15-30 game while I was there and it looked like just as much of a fish-fry as the game I was playing.
The room is huge and the selection of games at Taj is really awesome. Everything from 2-4 to 75-150 holdem, and 1-5 to 75-150 stud.
Any comments from the AC regulars here?
Old 02-28-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Trop vs. Taj

Most prefer the Borg now, but I like the 6/12 Trop game. TJ says he will still spread the Pink Chip game upon request, but that means showing up with a few buddys to push it through. I don't know if I told you when we met in Vegas that there is now a pink game here in NYC. I'll PM you with the details, its spread Wednesdays & Sats.

This weekend there will be a pink game at the Taj, it happens every year during ATLARGE. Good time to come over to say hi! I'm not a fan of the Taj, but you are right about the waiting time. Much better than the Borg.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2005, 12:59 PM

Any reason you aren't considering the Borg?
Old 02-28-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any reason you aren't considering the Borg?

[/ QUOTE ]
Evan,
Honestly no. I've been over to see it once or twice but haven't played there yet. I keep hearing that the waiting time on weekends is horrendous. Is that true for 10-20 or 15-30 too?
Old 02-28-2005, 01:27 PM

At peak times on Saturday I've waited like an hour and a half for a 10/20 seat. They don't spread 15/30, but the 20/40 waits are pretty similar to the 10/20 I think. If you don't show up at a really busy hour it will usually be pretty quick or open seating.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:34 PM

the 10 and 20 lists are the fastest in the room.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the 10 and 20 lists are the fastest in the room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Longest I have seen was 1/2 hour, but Max Power just experianced hell waiting hours for a seat last weekend. (he plays 10/20 and 20/40, I forgot which). See the thread in this forum about his personal hell where he was forced to play Stud.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Longest I have seen was 1/2 hour

[/ QUOTE ]
We once made the mistake of showing up at 7:00 on a Saturday (we actually just made the mistake of sleeping until 5:00) and the lists were probably a little over an hour.

[ QUOTE ]
See the thread in this forum about his personal hell

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, from a waiting list for a poker game?

[ QUOTE ]
he was forced to play Stud

[/ QUOTE ]
Stud rules dude! The night I was there with the long list James282 called me while we were still at our hotel in Absecon so I asked him to put me on the list beffore I got there and they accidently added me to the 1-5 stud list too. I was actually hoping that my 10/20 seat would take a while so I could play 1-5.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:50 PM

meaning that the lower limit he lists were even longer? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

seriously, the nl lists are really long, the 2/4-6/12 lists are long, and the big games seem to get very little turnover. for some reason, ON AVERAGE, the 10 and 20 lists seem to move faster than the others. but putting your name on a bunch of lists is usually a good strategy .
Old 02-28-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
putting your name on a bunch of lists is usually a good strategy

[/ QUOTE ]
...for getting the girl at the desk really annoyed at you (or maybe just at Ed, I'm not sure).