Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2005, 02:42 PM

Default LIVE! 8-16 hand. AQs

After grinding out the 10,000 FPPs to clear the full tilt bonus, I decided to play a little live poker for a change.

CP 8-16 game. Wow these guys are loose and passive preflop. I don't think you can find an online .50/1.00 game this loose, or this passive, I think that most flops were seen by 6 players for one bet. The BB, and I are the two exceptions, and for the most part, we are the only preflop raisers, unless someone picks up AA, KK, or AK. So on to the hand.

I open raise in the CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], the button a reasonable player who plays passively preflop coldcalls, the SB folds, and the BB threebets, and we both call.

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, I check, and the button checks.

Turn, 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] BB checks, I bet, the button calls, BB checkraises, and it is back to me....Your play?
Old 02-26-2005, 02:51 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: LIVE! 8-16 hand. AQs

since you didn't bet the flop, I take that to mean you suspected the BB of trapping. if you call now, I don't think that coheres at all with the flop check.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:54 PM

Given the protected nature of the pot, this looks like a fold to me. I would rather bet the flop though and see how he reacts. If he check/calls the flop and then check/raises a turn blank I can kiss it goodbye in a heart beat.

Brad
Old 02-26-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that coheres at all with the flop check.

[/ QUOTE ]

coheres?
Old 02-26-2005, 03:01 PM

I would have bet the flop but if he has such a monster why did he check the turn and risk it getting checked through again?
Old 02-26-2005, 03:02 PM

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think you should fold. The BB clearly isn't bluffing or betting a draw, since he wouldn't do that once the button calls. The check on the flop after 3-betting is extremely suspicious.

Since you opened from the CO, he should bet almost any pair on the flop. The check followed by the check-raise almost always is going to be a hand where you are drawing dead or slim.

Of course, if I can't be totaly sure of that read, I would just play cautiously and try to see a showdown as cheaply as possible.

Your opponent most likely has a set of Jacks or Queens and even then I don't like the line he took.

You were probably smelling a trap on the flop, but I would just bet anyway.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After grinding out the 10,000 FPPs to clear the full tilt bonus, I decided to play a little live poker for a change.

CP 8-16 game. Wow these guys are loose and passive preflop. I don't think you can find an online .50/1.00 game this loose, or this passive, I think that most flops were seen by 6 players for one bet. The BB, and I are the two exceptions, and for the most part, we are the only preflop raisers, unless someone picks up AA, KK, or AK. So on to the hand.

I open raise in the CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], the button a reasonable player who plays passively preflop coldcalls, the SB folds, and the BB threebets, and we both call.

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, I check, and the button checks.

Turn, 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] BB checks, I bet, the button calls, BB checkraises, and it is back to me....Your play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have only played 8/16 once at CP, but since I got lucky in my earlier response to Bob's AA post, I'll see if I'm runnning good.

BB clearly likes his hand, as I doubt this a bluff into 2 players. That said, if he is a thinker and recognizes hero as a TAG, he may be aware that hero's open raising standards from the CO may be rather low, and thus would 3-bet pf with a hand like AJ or KJs. That makes sense to me considering the flop check. (I suppose JJ or QQ are possible, but I think he'd have to bet this flop with 2 crubs out there and AK a possibility. Even if he didn't bet the flop with a set, once his attempt at a c/r on the flop whiffs, he'd HAVE to bet the turn.) Once the flop checks through, villain probably feels that he could very well have the best hand (or have hero's AK reverse dominated) and if the turn checks through, fine, as very few free cards hurt villain. I think he has AJ or KJ. I call the turn and the river, hoping button comes along for the fun. Button has 77-TT,or AK, by the way.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your opponent most likely has a set of Jacks or Queens and even then I don't like the line he took.

[/ QUOTE ]

He would have to have the patience of Job to check this hand again on the turn.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:26 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

yeah, does that not make sense? I'm an engineer. give me a break. I'm just the yes-man
Old 02-26-2005, 03:35 PM

Default results

Well, the flop check was suspicious, and I couldn't stand it after the turn check, and I bet. The button called, and then the BB checkraised. I thougt about it for a while, and decided that it felt like a slowplayed set, so I laid it down. The button called again, and the river blanked off. The BB bet, and the button folded AK. PokerBob gets at least half credit for getting the button's hand right.