Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Adjusting to the \"Any Ace\" player(s)

Assume your reads of the "Any Ace" players are correct. Do you like to make adjustments against these guys? If you decide to adjust, I would think you tend to raise less with hands like KQ suited, but raise with hands like A9 offsuit.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Fishlips
Old 02-25-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Adjusting to the \"Any Ace\" player(s)

So many .50/1.00 players play that way. Preflop I play about the same, but postflop I slow way down when an Ace hits the board and I don't have one, with KK for example.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:50 PM

i'd be interested to hear more experienced thoughts on this too. but i would think the answer would be "no". Whether an "Ace-any" or regular player has one, once that ace hits the board, you play to beat it.

the only "general" change i could think would be to suck him dry if you peg him having the A and it hits, but you hold flush/straight/nuts.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:53 PM

Generally speaking, these players tend to be at least semi-loose and passive, so taking advantage of them is easy. My preflop hand selection doesn't change, but postflop I have to take into account the Ax factor, so yeah I slow down when an A hits and I don't have easy outs. I'd play against unknowns the same way though, since at microlimits it happens so often.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... but raise with hands like A9 offsuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do that, you're just becoming a LAG version of an "Any Ace" player, IMO.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:01 PM

No no no - raise with KQ against "any ace" players (I take it we mean players that call with unsuited aces with kickers nine and lower). With hands like KJ and KQ, you'll always need to be leary of an ace falling on the board. But think about it - an "any ace" player is usually drawing to his three aces. You're drawing to six cards that top any pair he makes with his kicker, plus straights and flushes. A player who calls with any ace is usually making a -EV mistake.

Don't YOU turn into an any ace player. Fold Ax offsuit in any position, except MAYBE A9 on the button and sometimes from the small blind, if your game is especially loose. Never play them for more than one bet, lest you become the fish.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:06 PM

Sounds like you have been running into the same players as me. I got some good advice to start raising more and being aggressive with my postflop play. I did this and started to go up... only to run into a bunch of Ace huggers the past couple of nights... very frustrating to watch. One guy at the table played all of his Aces and made 60BB in a couple of hours.

I guess all you can do is be cautious when the A pops up, but then they have you guessing if they are actually holding it. I power forward everytime since I have caught them without the A... unfortunately they have it more than not. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]